From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Front Panels - When do Indicators Update?

Hi,

I have a VI that runs on a NI-9035 cRIO.  One feature of the application is that it updates some indicators on the front panel either at startup or when particular control is changed.  The approach works fine when running in LabVIEW 16.0, but it doesn't work when I deploy it as an executable to the 9035.  It seems to update fine based on the control, but the startup update doesn't work.

I have a theory and a question.  When the VI is started in LabView, the host computer (my laptop) is attached and the front panel is visible when the VI starts.  However, as a remote front panel, the executable might be running but the laptop may or may not be connected and the 9035.  So, what is being updated when the client PC isn't connected to the cRIO?  Perhaps there is a "virtual" front panel still being updated on the cRIO.  If not, then here is my theory.  The remote front panel isn't being updated at startup because there is no front panel unless the laptop is connected to the cRIO and its browser is addressing the remote front panel.  Am I getting warmer?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

Message 1 of 2
(2,157 Views)

Your theories are correct. As long as the main-vi runs on the cRIO it has no front-panel so nothing is updated. That starts only after you pull up the remote panel.

If I allow a remote panel to be pulled up I usually check inside the rt-exe if this happens by periodically checking this property node:

grafik.png

If the number of connections increases I update all the indicators in the front panel.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
Message 2 of 2
(2,110 Views)