LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Front Panels - Is LabVIEW Run-Time Engine Required

Hi,

I provided a VI compiled as an executable to run on a customer's cRIO NI-9035 with a remote front panel as an interface.  During development, I had LabVIEW on my laptop, and so it had all necessary drivers to run the remote front panel.  The laptop was connected to the 9035 via USB.  (I'm assuming it was using "Ethernet over USB".)  When we attempted to run the remote front panel on the customer's laptop, we had some problems.  There was some confusion as I worked with the customer to get it running.  It was never quite clear to me what we did to get it running.  My question is whether Run-Time Engine is required for remote front panels?  If so, what is it doing?  Is it required for both an Ethernet connection and a USB connection?  I've read about the "NI-USB-LAN" driver.  Does that come with the Run-Time Engine?

Thank you for any insight that you might have!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,293 Views)

Yes, you need at least the Web Browser Plug-in variante of the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine. The full version of the Run-Time Engine will work too. But I don't know if the NI-USB-LAN driver is included in that.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
Message 2 of 3
(2,252 Views)

@andy_3141593 wrote:

I've read about the "NI-USB-LAN" driver.  Does that come with the Run-Time Engine?

That is the Ethernet Over USB on the cRIO.  When you connect to the USB device port on the cRIO, it shows up as an Ethernet connection.  I think you need the cRIO drivers installed to use that.

But yes, the Runtime Engine is required to use the remote front panel.  When Web VIs release for the cRIO system, that will replace the remote front panels.  No RTE will be required then.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,246 Views)