From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Compile through Windows Target

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an 8108 controller running Windows in a pxi 1042q chassis with a 7830R in slot 2. I have my development machine connected to the 8108 through a network swtich.

My goal is to create the project on my development machine and compile the fpga from here. I set the 8108 up to be the remote server, but cannot define the 7830 from the development computer? If I right click on the FPGA Target in the project and choose RIO Device Setup, should I be able to find the 7830 this way? When I browse and choose to Add remote system at the IP address of the 8108, it says no RIO devices found? Is it not possible to find the FPGA through a windows controller?

I can connect to the 8108 via remote desktop, so I know the network is ok.

At this point it looks like my only option is to copy the project to the 8108 and compile from there?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,412 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author deskpilot

You have two options for controlling an R series card in a remote PXI chassis.

1.Use standard remote desktop to program on the 8108 from a remote computer. This method will be the simplest.

2.Use this KB, to connect to a remote R series target and deploy code from your development system.

How Do I Access RIO devices on a Networked Computer?

Message 2 of 3
(2,398 Views)

Thanks for pointing me to that KB. My local NI field engineer tipped me off about the proper way to add the 8108 to my project, which is described in that KB. I then stumbled across a solution to a similar problem that led me to add my 8108 as a remote VISA target from my dev computer, and then start the VISA server on both machines. This must start the RIO server as well, because I was able to find the 7830R from the development computer after doing this.

I'm not sure if there are any differences between running the RIO server and running the VISA server, but I will go back and do it the way the KB suggests just in case.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,390 Views)