LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registry

Hi , 

i want to know what is the goal behind using registry to save file in  ? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,230 Views)

Hi Emna,

what exactly are you talking about?

Any example VI?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,212 Views)

You don't save "files" in registry, you create subkey and values.

When you develop your own Soft, I think it only make sense to put data in the registry if you want other softs to be able to read/write some general config of you soft.

Accessing the registry often brings a lot of IT user restriction considerations, so if you don't really need it, just stay out of it ;).

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,203 Views)

Hi,

i

I'm trying to undrestand a LabVIEW program in which the developer create register and write  value in register .

i don't undrestand the reason behind that ?  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,173 Views)

What kind of information / values are saved in the registry?

Do you have any idea if any other Software will use the key written by the application you are working on?

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,169 Views)

ID , years , month , hour

i don't know if the keys is going to be used by other software.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,165 Views)

Well... if there is no obvious reason, apart from asking the original developer I don't think you will ever know.

Maybe he was scared that if he stored his data in files, someone might delete the files, maybe he though the registry was a "safer" place to avoid people deleting useful information... I'm just poking in the dark really.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,162 Views)

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing:

It is not uncommon for a Data Processing program to want to save "Configuration Settings" (like ID, and TimeStamp information) somewhere, especially if these settings are often re-used each time the program is run.  An example of this are ".ini" files that have a Section/Key/Value hierarchy.  NI has a set of functions in the File I/O Palette for such files.

The other place such data could be saved is in the Windows "Registry", a complex database that lies at the heart of the Windows Operating System, and accordingly is very dangerous for ordinary users to even look at, much less modify.  One of the quickest ways to force a re-install of Windows is a careless Registry edit, hence I strongly advise against touching it.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,155 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing:

It is not uncommon for a Data Processing program to want to save "Configuration Settings" (like ID, and TimeStamp information) somewhere, especially if these settings are often re-used each time the program is run.  An example of this are ".ini" files that have a Section/Key/Value hierarchy.  NI has a set of functions in the File I/O Palette for such files.

The other place such data could be saved is in the Windows "Registry", a complex database that lies at the heart of the Windows Operating System, and accordingly is very dangerous for ordinary users to even look at, much less modify.  One of the quickest ways to force a re-install of Windows is a careless Registry edit, hence I strongly advise against touching it.

Bob Schor

Amen to that.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,144 Views)