From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for QR Bar Code Scanner

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm looking to create a LabVIEW program that uses a bar code scanner to grab data off a QR code when I scan it.

Do you have any recommendations for brands you used and any to say away from?

My preference would be for one that acts as a serial port I can communicate with to capture the data, as opposed to one that is strictly a keyboard wedge.  I'm looking at $100 or less.  Usage will be for a few days at a time at a conference exhibit booth.  Wired/USB is acceptable.

Thanks for offering any advice or recommendations.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,904 Views)

Zebra/Symbol/Motorola have been pretty reliable models for me, though I've only used the 1D scanners. I've only used them in keyboard mode, but I think they can be used in serial mode as well...

Message 2 of 14
(4,901 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

Zebra/Symbol/Motorola 

In this budget I'd add Datalogic. Though I don't think you'll find something wireless under $100.

Message 3 of 14
(4,888 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RavensFan

Hi RavensFan,

We use the DS4208 pretty heavily:

https://www.amazon.com/DS4208-SR-Handheld-Omnidirectional-Barcode-Scanner/dp/B00MMXO9WI/ref=sr_1_1/1...

Their are configuration barcodes in the user manual for setup.

Little outside your target price ~$135

Regards,

-SS

Message 4 of 14
(4,864 Views)

EYOYO EY-001 2D Barcode scanner, $40 with both keyboard and comm modes.

Ben64

Message 5 of 14
(4,861 Views)

The NI Vision Assistant add-on has 1 and 2D code readability functions including QR 🙂

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
Message 7 of 14
(4,851 Views)

RavensFan:

Just a word of warning- one of our Sales guys wanted to borrow one of my 2D scanners to scan badges at a trade show for contacts.

Turns out for this show (I forget which one) the critical contact information was encoded so no useful information was gained.

I think that is why some shows rent theirs out.

No sure if this applies to your needs or usage conditions.

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
Message 8 of 14
(4,842 Views)

Thanks guys.

That $18 scanner, I believe is only for bar codes, I didn't see that it would would 2-D codes like QR.

$135 isn't out of the question.  I can justify that if it's worthwhile.  I just don't want to get $200-$1000 ones.

I saw the Eyoyo and other brands like it on my first search through Amazon.  It was hard to tell from their descriptions how good the interface was.  I can live with a keyboard wedge type if I need to, but I would prefer true or virtual Com port interface.  My fear is that the cheapest ones might strictly be wedge.  And if I search for a manual and have a hard time finding one, I'd shy away from it.  Some of the brands, if they have an extensive manual that lists all the specific settings you can do, then I'd prefer one of those.

I do remember reading about the Zebra brands.  I'm leaning in that direction.    The Zebra LS2208 looks like a decent choice at $64  (or $102 depending on the seller) for about half the price of the DS4208.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,838 Views)

I just found a better description that the LS2208 is out as it is a 1-D scanner and won't do QR codes.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,830 Views)