From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realizing different current signals with programmable power supply in Labview

Hello community!

I hope you can help me with the following:

1.) I want to generate different current signals like rectengular, trapezoid, saw-tooth, sinus etc. with my programmable power supply. Since i am relatively new at using Labview i am having a hard time figuring out how i can programm a VI that can communicate with the power supply and execute what i described. I saw there exists an express-vi called "simulate signal", is using this a good start?

2.) Also i want to connect two Solid State Relays with the power supply to turn the current on and off.

Do you have any recommendations on how to learn to program my project in labview  or any ideas in general? Your ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated!

The power supply i am using is the TOE 8491, which also comes with a labview driver and some pre-installed VIs.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,741 Views)

I have another question regarding the control of relays via labview.

Do you have any recommendations on how to learn to program a VI that can execute what i described? 

Tiago

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,687 Views)

@_Tiago_ wrote:

Hello community!

I hope you can help me with the following:

1.) I want to generate different current signals like rectengular, trapezoid, saw-tooth, sinus etc. with my programmable power supply. Since i am relatively new at using Labview i am having a hard time figuring out how i can programm a VI that can communicate with the power supply and execute what i described. I saw there exists an express-vi called "simulate signal", is using this a good start?

2.) Also i want to connect two Solid State Relays with the power supply to turn the current on and off.

Do you have any recommendations on how to learn to program my project in labview  or any ideas in general? Your ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated!

The power supply i am using is the TOE 8491, which also comes with a labview driver and some pre-installed VIs.

On top of what said:

1. Probably not... Read the manual for your device.
    1. Any programmable power source I have ever used you don't "send it a signal" or signal simulation. You "tell it" to output a Sine, Square, Triangle, Transient pulse, etc.
    2. Some sources allow you to upload a "user waveform" and select that to be output.
  2. That is relatively simple but you are going to need some, sort of Digital I/O interface to activate the SSR.
    1. What DIO device are you using?
========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,619 Views)

@Trusted Enthusiast

1. Thank you for explaining this to me! But how do i tell my power supply i want for example a triangle pulse? How did you realize different pulses on your power supply, per SCPI-command?

2. I am using the NI-9375 Module. I searched under "Help" and found the following:

Find examples -> Hardware Input and Output -> DAQmx -> Digital Output.

Are these VIs a good foundation to use?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,589 Views)

Hi Tiago,

@_Tiago_ wrote:

1. Thank you for explaining this to me! But how do i tell my power supply i want for example a triangle pulse? How did you realize different pulses on your power supply, per SCPI-command?

Read the manual of your power supply!

When it allows remote (programmatic) control then the manual will explain all the support commands/options…

@_Tiago_ wrote:

2. I am using the NI-9375 Module. I searched under "Help" and found the following:

The example VIs supplied by NI are always a good foundation…

But why do you need this DIO module for your current supply? How is that related to your power supply?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,584 Views)

@_Tiago_ wrote:

@Trusted Enthusiast

Well RTFM as they say...

Here is what one of the sections on programming the output of my Ci5001iX looks like...

ciCapture.PNG

Now if you look at the block diagram of the VI set the manufacturer provided (the LabVIEW "drivers") you will see that they are sending these same (if it's SCPI compatible) or similar commands to your instrument. 

There are commands for setting voltage, frequency, current limit, etc...

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,571 Views)

I attached a Screenshot of how the VI from Toellner looks like.

The frontpanel of the VI itself is easy to use. You can adjust the current and voltage manually and it works fine.

However, if i want to change something programmatically, i do not know where to begin.

I thought for example that i could copy the "Current"-block to my VI and change the current there to a defined constant but this is not possible...

Also, if i use the "Current.vi" by itself i can´t change the current of my power supply. Only when used in the TOE8941 LT V6.1.2.vi ....

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,540 Views)

You need to read the manual and understand how to use this power supply before you can program it.

Think about how you use it manually. What steps do you perform to output 12VDC with a 5A current limit?

You will have to perform every one of those steps when you automate it AND you will have to open and close communications between the computer and instrument. 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,536 Views)