LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading different results from generatecomputerid.exe

Hello,

I am trying to create a licensing program for my software. I have searched earlier and decided to use NI License Manager method for creating system ID with the help of generatecomputerid.exe.

It did well and I created my vi's, then I thought it is time to build application and test it.

I have two level programs, one is for creating license file and the other one is checking on the software run if the license file is valid for the running computer. So, basically it compares the ID inside file and get from the generatecomputerID.exe at the software run. And both has the exact same code inside.

My problem is, although the codes are same, I get two very different results from generatecomputerid.exe running on two different programs.

I thought it is probably because of data conversion stuff and try to narrow down the issue. After a lot of tests I figured out it is not related with other stuff, only related with generatecomputerid program. Because the same program gave me different ID within 2 minutes, without changing anything(no software, hardware, network card, even USB plugged/unplugged)

I am thinking it is better to ask it here before fighting with many unrelated stuff, probably someone dealt with the same problem before me.

Is it possible that generatecomputerid.exe gives different results?

Attached, how I use the system exec. I copied generatecomputerid.exe inside my app directory.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,047 Views)

The NI computer ID is generated on the first installed program (https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P6xoSAC&l=nl-NL)

It probably stores some file in one of it's sub directories, or relative paths.

If you move the exe to your own directory, it might not be able to find this file (or files), and generate a new code every time.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,000 Views)

No, it is not the case. I gave it a shot already and run it on the default directory, but it still create the alternating codes.

Since the ID created is changed without any change in the system, I wonder based on what this ID is created?

I am still looking for helps.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,989 Views)

I see the same problem.

I have a two version of "generatecomputerid.exe" , because i have a computer with software old

For mayor version 4.5.0.116 generate diferents id, for new login or shutdown change the id.

For minor version 3.7.0.73 this generate always the same id

For me the version 4.5.0.116 have a big problem, because the id sould unique

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,891 Views)

In order to solve this problem, you can generate the ID always based on your disk.

To do that, you can run the below parameters on SystemExec:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\License Manager\NILicensingCmd.exe /diskOnly True

This will make the parameter to generate ID only based on disk. After this command, you can add your standard command as you can see in my first post. And you should get the same ID everytime.

If not, I can suggest you to contact NI since there is some undocumented information about this subject.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,884 Views)