LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading data using Modbus RTU

Hi friends,

I have a temperature display which is ORDEL PC771. You can click for datasheet. Datasheet is not English. Communication protocol is MODBUS RTU over RS435. 

There is a device between computer and ORDEL which is ATEN UC2324 4-Port USB to RS-232 Hub.  

I want to communicate with ORDEL to read and display temperature data on Labview. You can examine a file attached. However, connection is not provided. There is no data from ORDEL.

Thanks for your comments.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,457 Views)

Your VI doesn't really do anything really to Modbus RTU.  Just grabs bytes received on the serial port.

If you search NI.com for modbus, you'll see several libraries that include examples.

Message 2 of 17
(3,446 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Your VI doesn't really do anything really to Modbus RTU.  Just grabs bytes received on the serial port.

Yes, it's to read serial port. Temperature data is sending over RS435 to "4-Port USB to RS-232 Hub", then connecting with USB to computer. So, I did this .vi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,429 Views)

But your VI doesn't do modbus.

If you want Modbus, then download a modbus library.  Look in JKI VI Package Manager.  Look at the example.

I think newer LabVIEW versions have a modbus library built in under the Data Communication palette.

Message 4 of 17
(3,412 Views)

Hi bestecf,

why do you ask by PM when you already got valuable help by RavensFan?

Just do as suggested: use one of those available MODBus libraries to communicate with your device…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,356 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

If you want Modbus, then download a modbus library.  Look in JKI VI Package Manager.  Look at the example.

I think newer LabVIEW versions have a modbus library built in under the Data Communication palette.

RavensFan thank you. I'm going to examine file I have attached. I guess that i should focus  title of "MB Serial"

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,342 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi bestecf,

why do you ask by PM when you already got valuable help by RavensFan?

Just do as suggested: use one of those available MODBus libraries to communicate with your device…

Sorry GerdW, thanks..

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,336 Views)

@bestecf wrote:

@RavensFan wrote:

RavensFan thank you. I'm going to examine file I have attached. I guess that i should focus  title of "MB Serial"

That is a pretty good library.  I've used it for years without any problems.   Yes.  Look at MB Serial Example Master.vi.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,325 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Look at MB Serial Example Master.vi.

I run MB Serial Example Slave.vi before Master.vi. But there is no change front panel in Master vi. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,300 Views)

I want to share a connection that I previously forgot to add.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,270 Views)