LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading a 2D array from a binary file causes memory error

I created a small VI to read a binary file (in order to help out with a forum post).

All I need to do is read the binary file and restore it's 2D array.  I have used it with the same binary file before and it didn't give me any error.
Now, everytime I run it, I get an error message saying there isn't enough memory.  Furthermore, it adds 450 MB in the memory useage.

So, I will attach the small VI.  All it does is read the binary file and sends the data to the waveform graph.  Nothing complicated.  Done this many times before.

Did the binary file get corrupted?  All I get is 500 elements of the same value.. as shown below... Which is NOT what I was getting earlier.

Rebooting the PC did not change anything. 

The binary data file is also attached...  rawData_org.bin (in zip file).

Any comments?  (this will probably make ity into the ....bad day thread.... - for those of you familair with Breakpoint)

R
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(2,652 Views)
I see what you mean.  But the memory error isn't being caused by the read from binary file, but the writing of the array to the chart.  If you transpose the array before sending it to the chart, there is no error.

This may be related to some of the bug threads I think I've seen lately about too many plots on on a chart.  It winds up as a 999 plots of 2 points rather than a single plot of 1000 points.
Message 2 of 24
(2,639 Views)

Ray,

Everytime I have seen that error when updating a chart it was fixed by transposing (as Ravens Fan already stated). As soon as I saw the png in the icon thread, I sensed what the Q was. Sorta like LV Jeopardy!

"Thanks Alex, I'll take cpp crash  errors for 1000 please." Smiley Very Happy

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 24
(2,625 Views)

LOL!!!!

Darn I feel dumb..     That's why it worked before....  d'uh...   Of course, I forgot to transpose the array with this one... 

Thanks guys! 

R

PS:  Hope you enjoyed the new iconz Ben!

Message Edited by JoeLabView on 07-30-2008 08:10 AM
Message 4 of 24
(2,611 Views)

Attachment whatTheHeck2.vi (12 kb)

Weird naming style u follow joeSmiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(2,603 Views)

OL!!!!

Darn I feel dumb..     That's why it worked before....  d'uh...   Of course, I forgot to transpose the array with this one... 

Thanks guys! 

R

PS:  Hope you enjoyed the new iconz Ben!

Ooops rated a 4 for this because ratings were pushed to the  right of my screenSmiley Sad
Already stuck with 4.9 and altenbach suggested that i need to give infinite 5s to get my avg to 5 and now..................
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(2,600 Views)

muks wrote:
Ooops rated a 4 for this because ratings were pushed to the  right of my screenSmiley Sad

Don't worry. Smiley Wink I equalized it..... Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24
(2,596 Views)

muks wrote:

Attachment whatTheHeck2.vi (12 kb)

Weird naming style u follow joeSmiley Very Happy

What is weird about the naming convention.  It is a standard one to avoid blank spaces.  startWithLowerCase andUseUpperCaseInsteadOfSpace

or are you referring to the actual name "whatTheHeck"?  that was my reaction...  😉  It's a mock VI to test out a solution.  It gets deleted at ythe end of the day.

R

Message Edited by JoeLabView on 07-30-2008 08:22 AM
Message 8 of 24
(2,595 Views)

muks wrote:
Already stuck with 4.9 and altenbach suggested that i need to give infinite 5s to get my avg to 5 and now..................

I will tell you a simple option. Smiley Wink Just rate 5 Smiley Surprised for the posts posted by mathan Smiley Tongue here.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24
(2,590 Views)

I will tell you a simple option.  Just rate 5  for the posts posted by mathan  here.

I hope u know i am already on it!!!!!Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 24
(2,567 Views)