LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read real time data in LABVIEW

Hi. I'm trying to read data from a Commonplace Mover 4 Robot Arm using LABVIEW. The default program for the robot is called CProg, where you can program in blocks or using XML files. My idea is to read the XML file in real time as the robot moves in LABVIEW, but I am having trouble with the communication. The robot uses a CAN protocol and connects to my computer via USB serial port. I want to read data from the USB serial port in LABVIEW but I don't know how... Any suggestions? The robot has 24V analog outputs.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,306 Views)

Hi Chencho,

The robot uses a CAN protocol and connects to my computer via USB serial port.

Wrong: the robot uses the PeakCAN interface. It's not a serial port! (See page 12 of the user manual!)

I want to read data from the USB serial port in LABVIEW but I don't know how...

As it is NOT a serial port you cannot use VISA. You need to use libraries from Peak to communicate over the CAN bus.

The robot has 24V analog outputs.

Wrong: The website only mentions digital IO.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,296 Views)

@Chencho wrote:

The robot has 24V analog outputs.  

I highly doubt that.  In industrial settings, 24V is used for digital IO.  Analog IO tend to use a 4-20mA signal.  And what does that have to do with the CAN bus?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,269 Views)