LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime short-cut menu with DLL Front Panel

Hi all, 

I've developed an extensible application that dynamically loads plug-ins distributed in form of LV-written DLLs.

The main LV .exe application, for each DLL plug-in found in a folder, calls a method to run the main VI in the DLL and afterwards calls a method to retrieve the VI reference. This reference is used to load the front panel in a sub-panel of the main application.

Everything works pretty fine with very good performances.

Now I'd need to add a custom short-cut menu on a Multicolumn Listbox of the DLL main VI but, even if correctly configured, when right-clicking on the control, only the default run-time menu is displayed.

If I run the original VI (in source .vi form) and put its front panel in a subpanel, the menu works fine, but when run within a DLL, it just doesn't work.

Every other front panel event works as expected (menu clicks, drag-n-drop, mouse hovering, and so on...).

Is this a LV limitation? Do you know of any turnaround to make this work? 

LV2010 here.

Thank you

Best

Raf

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,416 Views)

Have you tried what happens when you set the menu on a Shortcut Menu Activation event?

I'd say it's a bug, but I'm not sure if what you're doing is even supported officially (using references of VI's in dll's in the calling exe).

An upgrade might help, 2010 is ancient. If you post a mockup, we could test if it's resolved in newer versions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,364 Views)
I had the chance to try the same configuration in LV2013 and the poblem seems to have been solved :-) This result alleviates in me the fear of future incompatibility of my solution. Even if, as wiebe@CARYA suggested, it could be not officially supported by NI. Thank you Best Raf
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,344 Views)