From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read/Write INI Cluster OpenG

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to use the Read and Write INI Cluster VI by OpenG.  They look straight forward, but I can't get them to work.  In the attached code, the top section won't write cluster into ini file as expected, and I have no idea why.  I did notice one thing.  It seems the data within the cluster doesn't have names when I debug the code. Anybody with experience with this?  Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,885 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jyang72211

Use a "Close Config Data" VI after writing your cluster.

Picture1.png

Message 2 of 9
(4,864 Views)

That's a great catch.  I am still seeing other issues.  Are there any general advices on using these VIs such as naming?  Thanks!  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,790 Views)

That seemed to do the trick for me. I think how the naming propagates to the INI file depends a bit on your data structure. For example, if it's a single cluster or a cluster of clusters, it might behave differently.

You may want to give a look at the MGI Read/Write Anything toolkit. That's generally what I use for config files, and it is pretty fast even for larger data sizes.

Message 4 of 9
(4,785 Views)

@jyang72211 wrote:

That's a great catch.  I am still seeing other issues.  Are there any general advices on using these VIs such as naming?  Thanks!  

I think you might want to break out those clusters inside and save them separately.  I use the OpenG VIs that you are using, but I never have clusters within clusters.  You figure that an ini file can only handle two levels of organization - sections and keywords.  Clusters within clusters might confuse the VIs.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 5 of 9
(4,772 Views)

I did an ini writer/reader of my own, and solve Cluster in cluster by setting the section name to [top cluster name-lower cluster name]

Should you give the same name to several fields it'll bomb.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 6 of 9
(4,757 Views)

Did you mean the data type should always be a single cluster which represent a section of the INI file?  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,730 Views)

@jyang72211 wrote:

Did you mean the data type should always be a single cluster which represent a section of the INI file?  

I don't know if it has to be, but to me it doesn't make sense to have a data structure that is deeper than that.  Now I've never had reason to save a whole cluster to a keyword in the ini file using the OpenG ini VIs, so I don't really know if it will do this correctly.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 8 of 9
(4,726 Views)

@jyang72211 wrote:

I don't know how the OpenG version handles it, but mine requires data to be in a cluster or array. 

It came about as a way to read/write ini-files with system settings easier. As i had them in a cluster it became natural to develop it so:

[Clustername = section name]

Control name = Key name

Control name = Key name

Check it out.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 9 of 9
(4,707 Views)