LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: excell

yes.. actually application is to test the system fo 15 to 20 day.. thats why..

currently im getting this data in excel im attaching here

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,009 Views)

Hi Just,

using line breaks in your data sent to Arduino and echoed back makes it even worse…

Again the advice: don't send data each second (unless you need to)!

Another advice: use a standard delimiter between your data items. "-----" isn't standard, but TAB or semicolon is…

When you want to analyze such "big" data files you should not use Excel. It's not made for this task!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,004 Views)

THIS IS NOT AN EXCEL FILE!  Excel uses a (formerly proprietary, now only semi-proprietary) format that includes Graphs, formatting, formulas, etc.  Excel (the Microsoft program) can also read a plain text file that is "formatted" into rows and columns by having commas separating column entries and New Lines separating rows -- this file format is called "Comma-separated Variables", or .csv.  Excel can read such a file and, internally, treat it as a spreadsheet that you can add in the other Excel properties (such as graphs, formatting, etc.), but then you must save it as an Excel file in an Excel format (which start with .xl, as .xls, .xlsx, etc).

As an ordinary text file, the size of the file is limited by the size of your free space on disk (remembering that it is a text file, and thus larger than the size of the data you are writing).  You also require enough memory to hold all the data before writing it, though you can do partial (even line-at-a-time) writes.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,000 Views)

it seems im very poor in labview

.. so can anybody suggest me, how to save incoming serial string data in excel??

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(986 Views)

Hi Just,

how to save incoming serial string data in excel??

you already save your data in spreadsheet files (aka CSV files aka formatted text files)!

So what exactly is your problem?

We already gave you answers - did you (re-)think your program design based on them?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(979 Views)

When you want to analyze such "big" data files you should not use Excel. It's not made for this task!

then what is the alternative to log data..?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(980 Views)

Hi Just,

after writing the data with some better formatting (I gave you suggestions before) you could use tools like Diadem, Matlab, LabVIEW, Origin (and many more) to analyze your data…

We don't know all of your requirements, so how can we give specific software recommendations?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(975 Views)

@JUSTBEGINE wrote:

it seems im very poor in labview

.. so can anybody suggest me, how to save incoming serial string data in excel??

Your problem isn't that you are "very poor in LabVIEW", but perhaps English is not your first language, and you haven't clearly understood the comments and suggestions we've tried to make.  Here is a summary:

• I pointed out that you should not use the term "Excel", as you are simply writing what NI calls "a Spreadsheet File", that is, a formatted Text File.
  • Gerd has pointed out that you may have problems with acquiring your data from a serial device.  I'm not sure that you have addressed this issue.
  • He (and I) have also noted that you might want to look at how you write your output files, and maybe consider alternative formats (or at least learn how to better use the Write Spreadsheet function).
  • The question of how to analyze a large data file was also mentioned, but does not (yet) seemed to be addressed.

Consider writing two or three small programs -- don't try to do "everything all at once".  Write a little routine that just gets serial data from your device and displays it on the screen.  Work on this until you are confident that you are getting the data reliably.  Write a second little routine that uses something like a random number generator to "make up" fake data that resembles the data you would get from your instrument.  Using a Wait function inside your loop, generate new data once a second, and pass it to a routine that writes it to a Spreadsheet File (or whatever output format you choose).  Work on this little routine until you know that you have the "file saving" piece working perfectly, and know that you can take a week's worth of data without worry.

Once you have these two little pieces working, put them together!

In your "spare time", think about what sort of data analysis you want to do with your output file.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(966 Views)

thank you..i will go with this suggestions..

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(952 Views)
Hi Meenakshi, 1)I have already said before to learn LabVIEW basics , So that you don't need help for small issues. 2)As Gerdw and Bob said they have given exact solutions. 3)Divide your project into tasks and complete them one by one and finally integrate them you will succeed. 4)There are many tutorials of LabVIEW basics in youtube and NI website spend some time on them. Regards, VenuGopal.
Venugopal
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(941 Views)