LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Property node of a control inside of cluster inside an array

I have created a 2D array of cluster of 2 strings.  I have been able to get property nodes and write to the strings but I am having a very aggravating issue that looks like a bug. 

I initialize the array to an empty state then start writing data to the elements.  However, the items are landing in the wrong rows/columns.  The SN Display global contains a 2D array with 1 row, 4 elements but when this runs, I get 1 row with 6 elements with the data written but shifted 2 positions to the right.  

I have attached some code and a couple of images to illustrate.  

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Using LabVIEW 2017 

Also, I looked and looked and can't find a way to post a new thread so had to tack this on to an old thread. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,924 Views)

At the top of every forum page is a "START A NEW TOPIC" button.  Strangely enough, I always have trouble finding this button when I want to post a new topic.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,919 Views)

@itronChiraldude wrote:

Also, I looked and looked and can't find a way to post a new thread so had to tack this on to an old thread. 

It is called "Start a topic"

StartATopic.png

Whatever you are doing seems extremely convoluted. Can you attach all code, incl. the caller and global. (... after starting a new thread)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,909 Views)

Strange way to set up forum.  Selecting a specific category such as LabVIEW or NXG for example gives pages with no new topic button. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,892 Views)

@itronChiraldude wrote:

I have created a 2D array of cluster of 2 strings. ...

a very aggravating issue that looks like a bug. 

However, the items are landing in the wrong rows/columns.

The SN Display global contains a 2D array with 1 row, 4 elements but when this runs, I get 1 row with 6 elements with the data written but shifted 2 positions to the right.  

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Been there done that.

Personally I would say using a Global is "something wrong" but I will not open that can of worms here and now.

I do not think it is a bug but the nature of the beast.

In this thread I cover a lot of the details of using control references and I speak of the challenges of accessing items inside an array. I also posted example code there that demonstrates what it takes to target a specific index of an array and it amounts realizing that the value written to an element of an array gets written to the top left element that is visible.

Set the array so that there is only one element showing, set the array indexes and then set the value.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,873 Views)