From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I set XonLimit and XoffLimit for serial port communication?

Hi, mhd.gar.

I´m facing the same problem you mentioned.

Any tip, please?

Tnx,

Ricardo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,738 Views)

Its usually easier to start a new thread rather than jump into one with no activity for 7 years

What have you tried so far?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,729 Views)

@RICOBRASIL wrote:

Hi, mhd.gar.

I´m facing the same problem you mentioned.

Any tip, please?

Tnx,

Ricardo

VISA "Set I/O Buffer Size" MAY help IF the hardware and the driver support it.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,706 Views)

I do not understand your problem, I even read the old thread and still do not understand....

Anyway I just thought I would throw this out there. In my experience using Xon/Xoff for flow control only works reliably up to 9600 baud. Anything faster and you really should be using hardware handshaking like RTS/CTS.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,662 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

I do not understand your problem, I even read the old thread and still do not understand....

Anyway I just thought I would throw this out there. In my experience using Xon/Xoff for flow control only works reliably up to 9600 baud. Anything faster and you really should be using hardware handshaking like RTS/CTS.

Yes, hardware flow control is better than software flow control.

I may have last used software flow control almost 18 years ago and that was to talk to a device designed back in the 80s.

Hardware flow control is used only when the widget I am talking to requires it.

Both have become rare as computers have gotten faster. Old devices... well there is no fixing them.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,659 Views)