cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Greyed out text

Solved!
Go to solution

I think I finally found the culprit!

For years, I have notice a greyed-out "Filter" text string (or part of it) randomly appearing on my desktop, usually near the top left corner of the main monitor. Something like this...

Frozen_0-1672847855015.png

This morning I was wondering what the other columns were in the LV search window (different topic...) when I noticed that if I enter some characters in the 'Filter' box and click away, the greyed out "Filter" comes back.

Frozen_1-1672847926652.png

I believe artifacts of the greyed-out "Filter" are somehow being left behind.

I have no proof and have not been able to find a set of steps to reproduce the left-over "filter" text.... but I think I am a little closer to solving the mystery! 🔍

Tell me I am not crazy... you have noticed it too, right? RIGHT??

Currently using LV 20.0.1f1 (32 bit)

on Windows 10 Pro ( 10.0.19045 Build 19045)

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(1,667 Views)

@Frozen wrote:

I think I finally found the culprit!

For years, I have notice a greyed-out "Filter" text string (or part of it) randomly appearing on my desktop, usually near the top left corner of the main monitor. Something like this...

Frozen_0-1672847855015.png

This morning I was wondering what the other columns were in the LV search window (different topic...) when I noticed that if I enter some characters in the 'Filter' box and click away, the greyed out "Filter" comes back.

Frozen_1-1672847926652.png

I believe artifacts of the greyed-out "Filter" are somehow being left behind.

I have no proof and have not been able to find a set of steps to reproduce the left-over "filter" text.... but I think I am a little closer to solving the mystery! 🔍

Tell me I am not crazy... you have noticed it too, right? RIGHT??

Currently using LV 20.0.1f1 (32 bit)

on Windows 10 Pro ( 10.0.19045 Build 19045)

I've seen it before, I can'r remember when it happens.  It has something to do with editing though.  You do "something" and there it is.  Greyed out text that reads "Filter".  I think this was discussed in another recent topic.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(1,663 Views)

The topic is here, but there was no resolution.  But maybe it's related to searching, as this is what the topic was about...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(1,655 Views)

My guess it's so deep in the code that they are afraid to fix it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(1,649 Views)

As far as I remember, I always had this visual glitch when using the search tool from a VI.

It appears after you complete a search, the "Filter" field content seems to get printed in the original VI.

To be able to see it, you need to reset your diagram to the origin (quickdrop ctrl+o).

The offset from the origin appears to be the same as in the Search Results dialog, as if the text was printed in the wrong VI.

raphschru_0-1672872301114.png

Depending on which VI side is on top, you can also have it on the front panel:

raphschru_2-1672872527797.png

Maybe the text field is "insane" and deleting and recreating it in the tool could fix the issue...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(1,594 Views)

Good observation.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(1,558 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Frozen

I've seen this issue for years but never reported it. Y'all inspired me... 🙂

Bug 2259162 has been filed to R&D. From what I can tell, it is specific to using Ctrl-F, and it is purely cosmetic in nature.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(1,533 Views)

@Darren wrote:

Bug 2259162 has been filed to R&D. From what I can tell, it is specific to using Ctrl-F, and it is purely cosmetic in nature.

Go back to the original post. !!@@ dang it Darren!  I think the current behavior might be armor plating for the developer's shoes!  I dislike that irrational object bounds can happen.   But, those irrational bounds where lables and objects are in an expanding universe happen!

I might have explained that finding "Orphaned " lables is not "purely cosmetic," but a good reason to change the "locking" of lables methods.  

Lables can currently be moved vast distances from the owning object.   Sometimes accidentally!  Scaling objects on FP or make space operations on the BD can change distances to the nearest other bound of an object.   

If R&D gets involved.... consider a principle of maintaining relative relation.  i.e. 2 pixels off top center remains 2 pixels off top center for unlocked labels such that "make/unmake space" should not ungroup the object and object lable.  Captions could still be left as is for those operations.

And yes, let Lynn b me out about not being able to spell lable ... my mind cannot get it straight. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(1,528 Views)

@Darren wrote:

Thanks Darren!

Is there a better way to "report" these types of things then a forum post that might be over-looked? Because these two post could use some attention:

I don't see either of them in the "Known bug list" or the "Bug fix list".
To be fair, "Known bug list" does state "Not every issue known to NI appears on this list..."

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(1,489 Views)

This one could use some love too...

VI Analyzer is running extra unspecified tests

0 Kudos