cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT Target doesn't read host-hosted shared variable

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I've just started moving my LabView application to a RT system, and I've come up with a problem. When I host a network-published shared variable on the RT target, I can access it through vi's running on both the target and the host (which is good!). However, when I host that variable on the host computer (such as by dragging it to "My Computer" in Project Explorer or simply creating a new variable), the vi running on the RT target doesn't read it.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with my LabView installation, or if there's some step I'm missing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My host computer is running Windows 7 x64, with LabView 2009 SP1 32-bit. The RT Target is a desktop PC running real-time OS. I've attached a very simple project to illustrate this problem: I run "Target VI" and "Host VI" at the same time. On "Host VI", I change the values of two shared variables: "host-hosted" and "target-hosted". Only the changes made to "target-hosted" show up on "Target VI".

Thanks!

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,216 Views)

Update: Turning off Windows Firewall seems to have fixed it. Does anyone have an idea which programs I need to add as firewall exceptions to allow this to work? I tried adding "tagsrv.exe" but that isn't enough.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,208 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author awm3000

Take a look at this link (Configuring Software and Hardware Firewalls to support National Instruments Products) and this link (Configuring Firewalls and Network Address Translating Routers for Shared Variables) to see if this sheds more light on exactly what you might need to account for in your application with regards to setting firewall exceptions.

David A.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 3 of 3
(2,194 Views)