From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 issues on cRIO chassis using NI9870s

Solved!
Go to solution

I have been struggling with an issue for several weeks now and so I am posting here to see if anyone else has experienced this or knows what I am doing wrong.

I have a setup running LabVIEW .exes designed to control and record output from a number of devices for testing purposes, the primary interface for these devices is RS232 and as we wanted to test up to 12 devices we bought a cRIO 9056 cassis and three NI9870 modules to provide the RS232 channels.  I am using these modules in real time scan mode in order to access them on the host PC.

I am using the vi linked in this post to send commands and receive the response.

My issue is that the program runs fine for a  while and then I will get periods where ether the VI or the chassis (unsure which) will freeze for a period of time and not respond, I have timeouts in place that should end the attempt but the timeouts do not work when this is happening and the vi will sit there for a few minutes before eventually giving up.  It will then resume normal operation for a bit.  It will repeat this cycle for a while then eventually stop responding all together with the VI attempting a connection for a bit then after a while its as though the RS232 ports are not there at all.

when in this state I get this error:

The remote machine does not exist or is not accepting any connections. If the NI-VISA server is installed and running on the remote machine, it might have an incompatible version or might be listening on a different port.

I see this error on the chassis

MAX_JD_0-1669107372557.png

and this is what the chassis main page looks like

MAX_JD_1-1669107422604.png

the only way I have found to recover it from this state is a physical power cycle, software reset does not work.

We have another identical chassis which I plugged in with the same results so I have ruled out a hardware issue.

Am I doing something wrong with handling my RS232 ports?  any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(655 Views)

Hi MAX_JD

I found an article, which I think giving exact solution for this situation. Try to go step-by-step through that article.

Regards)

Message 2 of 3
(597 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MAX_JD

My issue turned out to be opening and closing the RS232 interfaces too often, apparently doing this to much will cause the cRIO to become unresponsive as although I was closing the port the Linux system on the cRIO still had it reserved.

I changed my RS232 vi to check the speed of the visa resource as I am using 115200 so if the speed was 9600 I opened the port, and if it was 115200 I skip to the read write operation.  Since making this change I have not had any issue.

Message 3 of 3
(542 Views)