LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about labview control of oriel monochromator 74125 USB read

Hi,
I am trying to communicate my monochromator model 74125 USB with the utility program, The Vis in labview came along with the installation CD-ROM. This Vis code which could control our monochromator from oriel newport. But I am facing a problem. I followed all the manual steps, but communication does not occur. I really don't understand what's happening
Could somebody help me out? Has anyone ever experienced this?
Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 60
(7,899 Views)

Can you post your code?  Or a link to the driver VIs if they're also available online?

Is there a specific error code that you get when the program fails to communicate?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 60
(7,696 Views)

Kyle is right in that we would need to see some code.

Generally, there should be an initialization subvi to establish communication with the device, via the installed DLL of the TracQ software (most company labview drivers for USB communication utilize the software they sell with the device).  Now, the TracQ software requires users to establish the library path for the device communication (the TracQ software is set-up to handle a wide array of devices).  So I'm assuming that your initialization sub-vi must also require a path to the monochromator installed library and communication settings.

After initializing communication, it should be a simple matter of passing the refNUM to the other subVIs provided by Newport-Oriel.  **If the VIs provided by Oriel do indeed communicate with the TracQ dll's, make sure the program is installed.

Of course, I'm speaking here from experience with other monochromators, so you'll have to investigate this matter more closely for your instrument.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 60
(7,663 Views)

i am getting a same problem .i am able to connect my monochromator through "mono utility software front panel" but dnt knw how to simulate it with labview as NI Max cant read my usb. please help me out. 

device - oriel cornerstone 260 mono chromator -model no.74125

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 60
(7,611 Views)

Sunny,

LabVIEW communicates with USB devices via DLL function calls.  You'll have to get the LabVIEW drivers from the manufacturere and start from there.  Hopefully, it comes with a basic acquisition example VI.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 60
(7,598 Views)

hello,

I am using monochromator 260 cornerstone by newport. i am trying to communicate it with labview using NI max i.e. measurement & explorer but it doest nt show USB connection. I have tried NI VISA driver wizard to install driver but it could not able to creater .pnf file .

pls help me out. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 60
(7,530 Views)

Gents,

Just to makes this more clear, I'm not using a TracQ software. I'm using a software provides by Oriel programmed on labview. The data acquisition and monochromator controls are performed through this software, no communication error message is showed, but the monochromator cannot detect the wavelength. I'm suposing I don't have a hardware issue, beacuse all components are conected corretly, I guess it's a software issue.

Is there a possibility to send you some screenshots about the software that I'm using?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 60
(7,487 Views)

Without seeing the VIs it is really hard to even guess at what might be wrong from your description.

No error message is shown: That still doesn't tell us if the VIs do have error clusters or not and if there might be an error information returned by the VIs though this. If the VIs are of the same quality as some other Newport sample VIs I have seen, they might or might not have error clusters or even any form of proper error handling at all.

Also in the past Newport "Driver" VIs generally did fail on OS systems that used a different decimal point format than the standard US decimal point, due to not setting the floating point string format to explicitedly use a decimal point as their instrument uses.

I could go on with various experiences with this instrument manufacturer. Fact is they used to have some inherent shyness about investing any support effort anytime the word LabVIEW was mentioned.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 60
(7,483 Views)

sunny1992,

I'm faced with the same trouble as you, to solve this I formated my PC, Installed the basics drives of the motherboard, and them followed the user manual instructions of monochromator. After this was not necessary create a virtual USB driver on NI Visa.

PS: I'm using Windows 7 32bits

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 60
(7,474 Views)

dear Pessanha,

can u pls mail me the drivers for cornerstone 260 monochromator. or atleast ur front panel so i can make it more clear to me.  ortherwise plz send me these in my mail id sunnysainidolle@yahoo.com. Can u anybody tell me that NI VISA is working on windows 2010 or not. If yes then what are the possible steps to detect USB devices.

warm regards

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 60
(7,421 Views)