LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about labview control of oriel monochromator 74125 USB read

I have recently integrated a TLS260-250Q  system which the 74125 USB is a part of. I have relied on some help from this thread (As I still wait for documentation from Newport). Sadly, I can not specify a clear installation process, as I have had numerous installation / installations therefore my recommendation might be overly complex, however I can say my system can now run and scan continually.

TL:DR - install Mono utility 5.1.0 and use the "SetWaitTime" method.

Installation tools:

The TLS is provided with the proprietary TarcQ SW, it includes several installations and I haven't been able to use it, but that was the first installation done. It required the LV RT and a specific version of the .Net framework (3.5). In the directory it creates there are numerous lvproj files which I wasn't able to open. The following installation was the Mono utility 5.0.4 threw which I was able to control the monochromator directly, it is a complied LV RT and can't be accessed. I then installed the MonoTerm tool which is linked in the previous comments, I wasn't able to run it, looking in to the vi files in it I wasn't able to find any reference to the Cornerstone.dll files so this wasn't much use either. I was then recommended to use the updated version of the Mono utility 5.1.0 which is provided in the CS130 web page

Only after installing the 5.1 version was I able to use the LV .NET constructor node and the invoke methods. Would the Mono utility V5.1.0 have sufficed? I'm not risking it.

Once I was able to communicate and started writing simple scanning loops I faced the dll freezing randomly with no error message. Adding waits did not help either. One comment suggested using the "setWaitTime" method with the value 40. I don't know what does it do, but the system no longer freezes. I still have waits hard coded (0.2S after setting a new wavelength, 10S after changing a grating or a filter) did not experiment with cutting them shorter.

A point I think is worth mentioning is the use of the shutter, I make sure to close it before changing a grating, not sure if there any other precautions which need to be taken, or what can the other methods be used for.

0 Kudos
Message 51 of 60
(1,119 Views)

Hello,

I need help with the communication problems between monochromator and LabVIEW using USB. The device is working properly. When I tested cornerstone test vi, the result is code 6 the cornerstone DLL error 20. In my LabVIEW I used kernell32.dll. Could Do you know how can solve this problem? 

0 Kudos
Message 52 of 60
(1,069 Views)

Hello.

I have the same issue with communication with Newport monochromator CS USB 260 oriel cornerstone and LABVIEW version 2019. The drivers that I got form Newport:

ftp://download.newport.com/Oriel/Monochromators%20and%20Spectrographs/Cornerstone%20Monochromator%20...

Aren't working and I dont know if the problems is that these drivers are incompatible with version LABVIEW 2019.

Bby any way I can recognise the monocromator. 

Would you have any suggestions please?

Best.

0 Kudos
Message 53 of 60
(977 Views)

Hi Casnsierra,

Have you been able to solve your issues? Did you try following my post on the top of this page?

BTW: We recently returned the demo unit and got a new TLS, the demo had a single USB connector to the monochromator, we now have the TLS connected to the PC and the monochromator connected to the monochromator. Task of the week is to figure out how to connect the TLS and not the monochromator...

Amir

0 Kudos
Message 54 of 60
(949 Views)

Thank you so much!

We have been having this exact issue and your solution finally helped us.

0 Kudos
Message 55 of 60
(510 Views)

Thank you for letting me know - nice to help out neighbors 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 56 of 60
(500 Views)

Hi! I am having the same problem - did you ever solve this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 60
(164 Views)

Yes, but it was a long time ago. Did you try following the steps listed here? Which worked for you? if you are totally bogged down send a PM and we could talk.

0 Kudos
Message 58 of 60
(153 Views)

At the time, the computer couldn't communicate with the monochromator and I thought it was a USB port issue. However, after several attempts, I opened the monochromator and realized it was a mechanical problem; for some reason, the gear that moved the grates was jammed. I manually pushed it, being very careful, and it started working perfectly again. I don't know if this is the same issue you're experiencing, but it was the solution for me.

Message 59 of 60
(144 Views)

We have had the same gear issue as well a few times. I haven't been able to determine a direct cause, but gently rotating the worm gear has allowed it to initialize correctly.

Message 60 of 60
(137 Views)