LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query about compatibility with LabVIEW Runtime Engine(32bit and 64bit) installed on a PC running 32bit/64bit Operating System

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey Guys,

Good day. Just wanted to check with you guys about installation and compatibility, with different versions(32 and 64bit) of Runtime Engine for LabVIEW in a PC.

Haven't tried these combinations yet(but will definitely give this a try to check, will update this thread once I have results as wel).

So if anyone has already stumbled upon these scenario, please let me know.

So these are my questions:

1) Usually most of the VI's I am creating will be under 32 bit Version of LabVIEW 2018 Professional Edition, as most of the drivers integrated,

such as Virtual Bench, IORELAY's and etc is using 32 bit.

So the question is when other PC's with 64 bit Operating System without Full LabVIEW installed and 64 bit Runtime Engine is installed, when opening 32 bit versions of VI's(.exe file),  will this create LabVIEW compatibility issues?

2) The other way around, when other PC's with 32 bit Operating System without Full LabVIEW installed and 32 bit Runtime Engine is installed, when opening 64 bit versions of VI's(.exe file),  will this create LabVIEW compatibility issues?

3) Is it ok, to install 32 bit Runtime Engine on a 64 bit Operating System? will this create LabVIEW compatibility issues?

4) Is it ok, to install 64 bit Runtime Engine on a 32 bit Operating System? will this create LabVIEW compatibility issues?

5) Would it be advisable to install both the 32 and 64 bit Runtime Engine in either of the operating system? To be able to properly

run 32/64 bit VI's?

Your inputs regarding those items above are very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance. 🙂

Cheers!

StayHappy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,410 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author StayHappy123

The runtime engine needs to match the bitness of the application, and both 64 and 32bit can be installed at the same time if both flavors of application need to be supported.

Simply distribute a 32bit application and tell users what runtime they need (or even include it with the installer).

(Posting by phone, thus a less detailed answer)

(The only real limitation is that you cannot run a 64bit app on 32bit windows, but these are getting rare.)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,399 Views)

Yes, I recently found out the hard way that you cannot run Windows 32bit on any recent Intel processors.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,388 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author StayHappy123

Is there a reason why you are even worrying about a 64 bit LabVIEW run-time or developing with 64-bit LabVIEW?

Unless you have a specific reason to need 64- bit LabVIEW (such as high memory requirements from huge amounts of data), just install 32-bit LabVIEW development.  Build executables with it, and deploy installers based on the 32-bit run-time engine.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,368 Views)

Hey altenbach,

Many thanks for your response and information mate. Noted.

Plan to develop all VI in 32 bit now and inform anyone to install and use  32bit Runtime Engine on their PC.

And yeah, agree nowadays, most PC now comes in 64 bit Windows, so wouldn't much affect the compatibility.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,362 Views)

Hi RavensFan,

Many thanks for your response and information mate. Noted as well.

No particular reason, just asking. I just thought since I am using a 64bit Windows system, may as well develop a 64bit VI's.

Yeah agree, same as information stated by altenbach.

Ok. Plan to develop all VI in 32 bit now and inform anyone to install and use  32bit Runtime Engine on their PC.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,360 Views)