From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PtByPt; Derivative issue

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm working on a program that continously read data from serial port (FS =1000). I have chosen to read the data in blocks of 512 in producer loop and send it via FIFO to the consumer loop. At the consumer loop I would like to filter and get derivate the signal.  I wrote a simple program to illustrate my problem, the program simply produce a sine wave of 128 point per cycle and i filter that wave with a band pass filter (assuming a FS of 1280 Hz). That works fine! What I dont understand is the derivative part and the meaning of dt. I expect it should be 1/1280 but this givs a wronge answear. I saw a solution in which they take the difference between Xn-1 and X0 of the signal block and insert it in dt Smiley Frustrated If I read the description in the derivtive the meaning of dt is sampling interval and it should not be equal or less than zero. So what have I missed???Smiley Mad   

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,407 Views)

This looks correct to me.  A few things I did:

1. Set the Initial Condition to the first data point

2. Removed the First Call since that is done inside of the VI anyways.

3. Set the dt to be 1/1280.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,393 Views)

Thank you crossrulz!

I started with your suggestion what I get it is a derivative that is 63,8 time higher Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,381 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ahmalk71

ahmalk71 wrote:  I started with your suggestion what I get it is a derivative that is 63,8 time higher Smiley Surprised

If you go through the math, that is correct.

d(sin(2*pi*128x)/dt = 2*pi*128*cos(2*pi*128x)/dt.  With dt = 1/1280 you end up with 20*pi*cos(2*pi*128x).  20*pi = ~63.8

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 5
(3,349 Views)

DarnSmiley Mad I forgot about the internal derivativeSmiley Embarassed

ThanksSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,340 Views)