LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prototype for thesis - tarjet selection, help!

Hi, I'm doing my thesis is about a prototype of a greenhouse, the area is as follows: 9.8 feet (long) x 4.9 feet (wide) x 6.56 feet (high). I am going to buy a card to develop an embedded system in which the logic of control and monitoring, temperature, humidity, and irrigation system will be programmed. My question is, which platform would you use for this type of projects? Rio, or a single board river ?, what advantages would the platform they select, with the same development with a fpga digilent card as Zybo Zynq-7000 or a nexys 4 ?, I hope they can help, I leave a diagram Of the measures.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,181 Views)

Hi tree,

how is the size of your greenhouse related to the "embedded system" you want to buy?

When asking for a hardware recommendation you need to know:

- which/how many signals do you want to measure?

- which/how many actuators do you need to control?

- will there be logging on your "embedded system" needed? How much data do you need to log?

- will there be any kind of "supervision" of a host system?

- is there a price limit?

- …

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,152 Views)

Is this the forum's thesis, or yours? 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,141 Views)

Mauve thesis has the most ram:

http://dilbert.com/strip/1995-11-17

Message 4 of 9
(3,133 Views)

Thanks for your answer

-Time limit between 300 and 700 dollars for the card
-The signals to measure 8 temperature signals (2), relative humidity (2), conductivity (2), ph (2).
- need to control 4 actuators irrigation system (1), ventilation system (2), radiator (1)
-For the monitoring will be a user session interface.
- It is necessary to register about 9 data, mentioned above and additionally the speed of time.
"Supervision will be done from my laptop.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,126 Views)

What card would you choose to develop the project according to the specifications I gave and why (sbrio, NI MY RIO or nexys 4, zybo zynq-7000), please help me.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,098 Views)

Hi tree,

- The signals to measure 8 temperature signals (2), relative humidity (2), conductivity (2), ph (2).
- need to control 4 actuators irrigation system (1), ventilation system (2), radiator (1)

Which signal types (or interfaces aka APIs) are we talking about?

What card would you choose…

- When you want suggestions about National Instrument hardware you should directly call your local NI sales rep - you will find their phone numbers at ni.com!

- When you want to use hardware of other companies you should call their sales department to discuss your needs.

Why should we do your work? After all it's your thesis!

(Even if we would suggest some type of hardware we still don't know how you will be using it, how you would program all this, and so on…)

For such kind of projects I also can recommend cheap PLC systems, they come with a FREE development environment and even support web interfaces/data logging!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,071 Views)

Yes, it's my thesis, only that I felt confused by the alliance of Xilinx and National Instruments, I did not want to make a bad comparison, I'm sorry. I was researching a little more and I realized that for this type of project, it is better to program it in labview, since it is the first option for control systems. It is behind most heavy industrial systems. And it is extremely easy to use. So easy that it is used to program the Lego Mindstorms (for children). And that saves me a lot of time. I will call the local representative for more information, same thanks for the help provided.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,045 Views)

@electronictree wrote:

...it is better to program it in labview, since it is the first option for control systems. It is behind most heavy industrial systems. And it is extremely easy to use. So easy that it is used to program the Lego Mindstorms (for children). And that saves me a lot of time.

Well, about that statement "extremely easy to use": LabVIEW is a full featured programming language. Yes, the environment helps you to quickly put together simple DAQ tasks, and I think the learning curve is "good". But do not fool yourself by thinking that LabVIEW will just work for your project "as it is" without proper programming!

Your project needs to monitor and log many sensors. Plus, regarding to measured values, you need to control actuators, like fans, etc. You need to program a communication interface between your embedded device and your laptop.

This is not a simple project. I strongly recommend you to take the LabVIEW courses "Core 1-2" first!

"So easy that it is used to program the Lego Mindstorms (for children). And that saves me a lot of time."

Well, of course you can program these Lego robots using LabVIEW, but for kids the recommended and used "language" is the EV3 Programmer App .

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,038 Views)