LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protect Python Code

Hi there,

is there a way to protect my *.py files, which I call from within LabView? Or is this going to be implemented into the *.exe file after I build the project (and if so, is this sufficent protection)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,773 Views)

@mw42 wrote:

is there a way to protect my *.py files, which I call from within LabView? Or is this going to be implemented into the *.exe file after I build the project (and if so, is this sufficent protection)?

It looks like the Python Node needs a path to a .py file - regardless if you run your code as a .vi or as an .exe

python-path.PNG

could you be more precise about "protection" ?

in terms like "read-only"?

in terms like encryption?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,714 Views)

The idea of Python is openness so in a way it goes against that, but put the file in a password protected zip? I think LV can handle that and the zip should work like a folder. I might be way off though.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,700 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

The idea of Python is openness so in a way it goes against that, but put the file in a password protected zip? I think LV can handle that and the zip should work like a folder. I might be way off though.

/Y

I had that in mind to Smiley Very Happy

but I can't say if that would work,  ... any thoughts?

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/de/nid/209027

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,643 Views)

Yes the Openg ZIP library has a possibility to extract files inside a password protected archive and even extract it directly into a memory buffer without the need to write it to a file on disk. However I'm not sure if the Python Node supports passing a in memory file as a string or always requires a path to a real file on disk. If it doesn't you still would need to save the file to a temporary location and then specify its name to the Python Node. And that temporary file would not be encrypted.

It still would allow to make reasonably sure that a user can't modify the file before being executed but he could intercept it and copy it and then read its contents.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 6
(2,618 Views)

I guess the other option is to have Exectute only-flag on the file or have the program run as a separate user and only have read access to that user.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,579 Views)