From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper VISA use

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm still kind of new with LabVIEW, and I came across the VISA open/close functions (they were hidden under the Advanced tab so I never saw them before).

My question is if I am supposed to be using those VISA open/close functions when I make gpib drivers for equipment I use.  For example: attached is a simple code that will set up my Keithley 181 and take a measurement (really only for demonstration purposes).  I highlighted the open/close functions, I have never actually used them before, and normally if I wanted to write the same code I would have just skipped them and gone straight to the VISA write (which still works).  I haven't seen any problems with the drivers I have made, even though I have not used these functions in the past, but maybe there is a chance that some unexpected results could occur, I am not really sure.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,096 Views)

Hi Lars,

let's compare VISA with simple FileIO:

First you open a file (providing it's filename), then you read/write the file, then you close the file. You do the same with VISA: open the connection, read/write data, close the connection...

It's the same when using DAQmx, queues, and many other: open the resource, work with it, and close the resource afterwards!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(2,087 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LarsUlrich

Once upon a time, the use of the VISA Open was required. A session was not created unless you explicitly called it. Then, VISA got a bit smarter and if a VISA function is called, if the session does not already exist, it is automatically created. So, calling the Visa Open is somewhat optional though I still prefer to use it in my code. With the VISA Close, there is a setting (tools>Options>Environment) that will automatically close VISA sessions when you exit the top level VI but, especially with serial, I prefer to have more control.

Message 3 of 3
(2,079 Views)