From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prompt user

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

I am new to Labview, I just have the basis. I would like to prompt indications to the user while the program is running, but continuously. I am working on electromyography, and I would like to have something like "Contract muscle" (during 5 seconds) then "Relax" (5 seconds), and again several times. The thing is I don't want the user have to press "OK" everytime, I would like the indications continue alone with a chronometer that the user could see. 

Do you have any idea? I wanted to use the Express VI "Prompt User for Input", but it demands to click on OK everytime, and there is no chronometer.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
(3,702 Views)

You will just have to put that into the front panel GUI that you will be creating for the user.  You can do things to highlight your text indicators to make sure the user notices them.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,687 Views)

I would just use a string indicator, and putting a timer next to it shouldn't cause you too much trouble. Once you get working on it you can post your .vi and where you are getting stuck.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,685 Views)

Well, with the string indicator, there will be all the text. 

I would like that a command says "Contract" from 0 sec to 5 sec, and then disappears and shows "Relax" from 5 sec to 10 sec and disappears..

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,672 Views)

You can format numbers into the string indicator as text!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,665 Views)

I'm sorry, I don't understand the issue. A string indicator is definitely capable of doing this. Can you post what you have tried so far and maybe we can identify a point of confusion?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,663 Views)

So here, I am recording data coming from a sensor. 

I would like that from 0 to 3 seconds, the user contracts his muscle, and from 3 to 6 seconds, he relaxes his muscle. So I want the prompt to say from 0 to 3 "contract' and then from 3 to 6 "relax"

Do you understand? It is not for me, it is for a user, so he just follows the instructions that appears on the front panel

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,636 Views)

I'm sorry, I can't view your program since I'm using LabVIEW 2014. So it sounds like you are having issues with the timing? You can store a "tick count" in a shift register. Then you can periodically check the current tick count and see if the difference is greater than 3000ms, 6000ms, or whatever number you desire. Based on this comparison, you can decide what to display inside the string indicator.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,624 Views)

Two choices.  That is pretty straight forward.

I would recommend you learn more about LabVIEW from here. How to Learn LV

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,620 Views)

That works exactly as I want. 

And if I want it several time, like:

0-5sec: contract

5-10: relax

5-10; contract

10-15: relax

15-20: contract

20-25: relax

It is going to be a lot of iterations no? 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,609 Views)