LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Explorer position

Hi,

when opening a project, the window size is not properly restored. I checked the ProjectExplorer.ClassicPosition property in the *.lvlps file, and the difference is 12 px in the vertical and 2 px in the horizontal direction.

This happens at least in LV2016 and 2018. Can anyone else confirm this?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open project and adjust project manager window size.
  2. Save project and observe ProjectExplorer.ClassicPosition property in *.lvlps file.
  3. Close project and open again.
  4. Without changing anything, save the project and compare ProjectExplorer.ClassicPosition with previous value.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,530 Views)

I think 2013 is OK.

Didn't check the file, but opening repeatingly did not change the position.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,510 Views)

I just did this on a Project opened on a Window7 (x64) PC running LabVIEW 2016.  I followed exactly the steps you noted -- opened Project, resized it (I had the "Show Item Paths" option checked, as I always do), saved it, noted the Classic Position (251, 539, 703, 1404), opened it again, did nothing, closed it, and the Classic Position was unchanged.

Just a second and I'll replicate this on a Windows 10 (x64) PC running LabVIEW 2018 ...

OK, I just did it twice, on two Projects, a Big One and a Tiny One (the Big One was essentially the same Project that I tested above).  In doing so, I noticed that I overlooked a step -- I didn't actually "save" the Project after resizing it, I merely closed it (which did not, in fact, change the .lvproj or .lvlps file "Date Modified" states).  I made the same mistake here, so I "did it again", and this time noted that the Date Modified changed for each of the two "Saves".  Yet the Classic Position didn't change.

So I am unable to replicate the behavior you are seeing using either LabVIEW 2016 or LabVIEW 2018, running on Windows 7 (x64) and Windows 10 (x64).  I should have mentioned that my LabVIEW installations are LabVIEW 32-bit.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,494 Views)

Ok, so it seems, this only happens when the project explorer window is maximized or snapped to the side of the screen. If I have it open in any other arbitrary position it seems to work as expected.

So step 1 is now:

1. Open project and maximize or snap the window to a half of the screen.

By the way: It should read project explorer in the thread title and tags. Not project manager Smiley Embarassed Maybe a moderator could change that? I can't edit the original post anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,463 Views)

@pktl2k wrote:

Ok, so it seems, this only happens when the project explorer window is maximized or snapped to the side of the screen. If I have it open in any other arbitrary position it seems to work as expected.

So step 1 is now:

1. Open project and maximize or snap the window to a half of the screen.

By the way: It should read project explorer in the thread title and tags. Not project manager Smiley Embarassed Maybe a moderator could change that? I can't edit the original post anymore.

A-HA!  Now *this* I have seen before, and it happens on Win7 as well as Win10.  It's annoying.  In Win10 I open up help and snap it to the left side of the screen (observation: the help window always opens up in the correct place).  When all the apps "go miniature", select your project manager window and it snaps into place on the other half of the screen.  Of course, the next time you open the project, you have to do this all over again.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,434 Views)

Good point about the help window.

Here's another one: It also happens to vi's snapped to one side of the screen. Even stranger: If I maximize the vi, it restores maximized as expected Smiley Surprised

I suspected that maybe my triple-monitor setup might have something to do with it. But it also behaves that way with only one monitor.

It can't be the aspect ratio, can it? Maybe LV scales something, assuming the ubiquitous 16:9 ratio, but I'm working on 16:10 (1920x1200) screens.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,408 Views)