From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmatically add multiple scales to graph

On the front panel, I can choose "duplicate scale" "delete scale" to add/remove multiple scales a Graph control.  Can I do this programmatically,i.e., use the VI to adjust the number of scales on the graph?  The purpose is to have variable number of plots on the same graph, each having a different scale.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,647 Views)

I have come accross that same desire.

The way I did was create all the scales I ever needed ahead of time and then turn the visibility on/off programaticly.  You can also associate plots with scales programaticly.

Dan

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

Message 2 of 9
(5,640 Views)

I use this: Add the maximum number of needed scales per hand. You can swap sides to get a better look.

To switch on/off a scale use the property "Active Y Scale" to select the scale and "yscale.visible" to switch on/off.

I've written a small demo.  I hope it's usefull.

Message 3 of 9
(5,636 Views)

Hi Andreas_Fuerst I want to create duplicate scale for waveform chart for x axis. Is it possible to create ? the duplicate scale option from that menu list was not visible. I couldn't create duplicate scale. Please refer my attachments so that you can understand my problem. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,567 Views)

I would say no.  Waveform charts are special in that you send data to them one point or a few points at a time and the X-axis is constantly moving.

You can create a duplicate scale for the X axis on Waveform Graphs and XY Graphs.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,558 Views)

I came across the same issue: i want to programmatically create scales and activate them if needed. I see the visibility flag, but no way to automatically create them. Does somebody knows how to do it? or it is just not possible.

Adding it manually in advance is a solution, but not the best one.

Accessing the scale legend properties, should be possible like accessing plot legend. It is just an array....

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(801 Views)

Hi Marian,

@Marian_G wrote:

i want to programmatically create scales and activate them if needed. I see the visibility flag, but no way to automatically create them. Does somebody knows how to do it? or it is just not possible.

Adding it manually in advance is a solution, but not the best one.

It's the same state as it was 15 years ago: create the scales manually at edit time and then you can switch their visibility at runtime…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 7 of 9
(794 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Too bad it was not improved until now....

Best regards,

Marian

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(786 Views)

@Marian_G wrote:

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Too bad it was not improved until now....

It will be lots of work and little gain. Actually, 0 financial gain for NI...

It's the same for captions. You can only create them during edit time. Not even scripting can create a caption... 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(768 Views)