LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmatic binding of Front Panel Control

Solved!
Go to solution

It appears that Programmatic binding of Front Panel Controls do not work when they are located on a tab control. 

Is this a known issue in LV 8.6?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,113 Views)

Whoops, it appears that the real issue is that you must first manual set the binding type of the control before you can

write to any of the binding properties.  Sounds fair enough, except that if you are planning on setting all of your HMI control

binding programmatically then it would be nice if you could just set the binding mode without having to set a valid URL as well.

Even better would be the ability to programmatically set the binding type itself.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,103 Views)

Did you try and Invoke node for the control?

I haven't tried this to see if it works.

Since the context help says it is only settable at edit time, it may be a situation where you'll have to send control references of a non-running VI to another VI that actually does the setting.
Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 11-06-2008 02:36 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,100 Views)

Yes, I did notice that and it maybe the only way to do it.

I did think I was getting close but now am getting the following error when trying to overwrite the Binding URL

to a control that had been manually bound to a NSV.

Error 1522 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in NSV Binding Test.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  (Hex 0x5F2) The BindingPath property can only be written when the control is already bound to a PSP URL.

Property Name: Data Binding:Path

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,092 Views)

It appears that I can programmatically change the BindingMode but

if I try to change the BindingPath I get the dreaded error 1522.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,087 Views)
Hi, Writing to the binding path property of a control bound to a shared variable is a known issue and there is a Corrective Action Request for it. This should hopefully be fixed in the next installment of labVIEW.
National Instruments
RIO Embedded Hardware PSE

CompactRIO Developers Guide
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,068 Views)
Just curious what the date of that CAR is and why it does not come up in a search of the KB.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,051 Views)

Hello,

The car is dated to October 30, 2008. It is CAR 131529. As well, what kb are you referring and what do you mean by "does not come up in a search of the kb"? We don't currently link CAR's to kb's.

National Instruments
RIO Embedded Hardware PSE

CompactRIO Developers Guide
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,019 Views)
Ok, That was my CAR.  I guess it just surprised me that I was the first person to stumble across this bug.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,014 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author viScience

If the front panel control is already bound to a PSP URL you can relink it to a different URL using the DataSocket URL property while the VI is running.

If the front panel control is not bound to a PSP URL, then you can not attach it to the PSP URL while the VI is running. You can use the AttachDataSocket method from another VI to change the binding while the original VI is stopped (in Edit mode).

Message Edited by Christian L on 11-19-2008 11:56 AM
authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

Download All
Message 10 of 16
(3,943 Views)