From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with data in numeric indicator

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm having some issues with the remainder of some operations. For example if i do this operation "1.16/0.04" the remainder in my numeric indicator is 0.04, when must be 0. Because the Quotient of that operation is a whole number as you can see in the image.

Is there an explication of this? If i do 1.12/0.04 the result is correct. Thank you. There's only issues with some operationsResiduo11010.png

Residuo20000.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,230 Views)

Probably numerical precision and binary representation.

Check this out as a similar phenomenon:

Example_VI.png

More helpfully, you can consider doing the calculation yourself. I guess that this rounds in a few extra places...

Example_VI.png

For more discussion of the double datatype (not specific to LabVIEW) you could read my answer here: StackOverflow link. The question has since been marked as a duplicate, so the other question might have more answers too 🙂

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,206 Views)

Two things wrong here:

1. As cbutcher already stated, Floating Points are not really accurate.  This is a problem with all languages.  The reason being that you cannot put infinite precision in a finite number of bits.  So you will have rounding issues.  The real question is are those errors small enough for you to not care.

2. The Quotient & Remainder is really meant for integers.  When dealing with floating points, a normal division is almost always what is needed.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,179 Views)

Hi cbutcher,

Check this out as a similar phenomenon

That's no "phenomenon", this is how rounding is defined in IEEE754/854!

It's called "bankers rounding", like described here

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,166 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Check this out as a similar phenomenon

That's no "phenomenon", this is how rounding is defined in IEEE754/854!

Perhaps careless wording!

@GerdW wrote:

It's called "bankers rounding", like described here

Thanks for the reminder - it's been a little while since I read through any parts of IEEE754 (or even the wikipedia summary!) and I'd forgotten that the recommended default is half-up, half-down.

I suppose that it's typical (at least for non-computing related fields) to round away from zero, so this is my expected behaviour. I was surprised when I saw the "phenomenon" I highlighted, but as you say, I shouldn't have been!

@GerdW

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,151 Views)

All right, so anyone knows how to obtain the remainder of those divisions with precision?? I'm working with very small decimal numbers. So i need the remainder..

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,134 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gabriel1010

Hi Gabriel,

so anyone knows how to obtain the remainder of those divisions with precision??

Please define the precision you need!

Which numbers are we talking about?

I'm working with very small decimal numbers.

That's bad.

I gets worse when you start to handle numbers with very different values (like ~10^5 compared to 0.001)…

So i need the remainder..

Why?

1.16 \ 0.04

Suggestion: multiply both numbers by 100, round to nearest, convert to integer, then do Q&R…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,131 Views)

it worked well, thank you. I need the remainder because I'm working with a CNC who does 0.04 mm for step. So i need specify the limits of different working zones what need to be multiplys of 0.04mm. So if the working zone is multiply of 0.04 my cnc must stop in that position, if not, I have to specify the range in which I want to stop it. Something like that. But thanks for your support.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,121 Views)

Hi Gabriel,

a CNC who does 0.04 mm for step.

Simple solution: do all your calculations in steps instead of in mm!

This way you can use integers all the way…

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 9 of 9
(3,117 Views)