LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Type defs in dynamic VIs

I have created a Labview executable that consists of a top level VI that dymamically calls a Front Panel VI.

To build this I have added the Front Panel.vi as a support file, and then set the installer to create a Front Panel(s) directory to put the vi in.

When I run my .exe I get an error saying that the Front Panel.vi is not executable. I have eventually found out that if I disconnect a control I have in the front panel from its type def then everything works fine, so this looks like it's the problem.

It's not the end of the world not having the type def connected, but it is a bit inconvenient if I want to make changes to the front panel - just wondering if anyone knew how I could get this type def included in the build, and for the front panel as a support file to be able to see it.

Many thanks in advance for any responses.
David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,464 Views)
You said you added the Front Panel as support file. You should add it as a Dinamic VI instead. This way, LV Builder will include all needed dependent vi's.
Furthermore, while installing vi's you should not alter the relative path for each main vi and its subvi's.
I mean that if a subvi is (for example) in a subdirectory during development, it should also appear in a subdir with the same name once deployed. This relationship obviously only applies to static linking, not to main-to-dynamically loaded subvi's, because in this case you actively specify where the subvi is to be found.

Paolo
Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
Message 2 of 6
(2,453 Views)
Hi Paolo, I would have done it that way, but have built my executable so that I can use different front panels without having to do a rebuild -  i simply put another front panel vi in the front panel(s) directory, then in my config file adjust the name so that the executable calls the different vi. This is a really good method of seperating functionality from user interface that learnt about on the NI Advanced Application course, but this thing of not being able to use type defs is a bit annoying.

Thanks for your reply.
David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,449 Views)
Hi,

You have to uncheck "Disconnect from type defs" when you build an executable.

Regards,

Wiebe.
"davidpcl" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1147866009291-366369@exchange.ni.com...
I have created a Labview executable that consists of a top level VI that dymamically calls a Front Panel VI. To build this I have added the Front Panel.vi as a support file, and then set the installer to create a Front Panel(s) directory to put the vi in.When I run my .exe I get an error saying that the Front Panel.vi is not executable. I have eventually found out that if I disconnect a control I have in the front panel from its type def then everything works fine, so this looks like it's the problem.It's not the end of the world not having the type def connected, but it is a bit inconvenient if I want to make changes to the front panel - just wondering if anyone knew how I could get this type def included in the build, and for the front panel as a support file to be able to see it.Many thanks in advance for any responses.
Message 4 of 6
(2,444 Views)
Now I understand a little better, but.. you're saying that you included the typedef file too as a support file and that did'nt work?
Or simply you would need a method to include it automatically?

Paolo
Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
Message 5 of 6
(2,444 Views)
Hi Wiebe - I tried what you suggested and it didn't work, but then I tried it again but put a constant of the type def in the top level vi that I was building into an application and this has worked.

Many thanks.
David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,431 Views)