Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(896 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

@rolfk wrote:

Just for the fun of it, hexadecimal is actually a macaronic word, it consists of the Greek hexa and the Latin decim. The pure latin version would be sexadecimal but that dtd likely not make it because of its to close resemblance with sex.

I don't think that's the reason, because we refer base 60 (for times and angles) as sexagesimal.

But it's a purely academic system. I have never seen anyone really use it in any way. And with 60 different symbols to come up with it looks a bit Chinese to me. 😁 More than 16 starts to get a bit difficult to learn and manage.

It's often used in the feature list of calculators.  (Each sexagesimal 'digit' represented by a 2-digit decimal number, and separated by colons.)

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(867 Views)

But I never heard anyone naming it by this name, unlike the hexadecimal system. 😁

Most just call it "clock" rather than using a word like "sexagesimal".

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(860 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

But I never heard anyone naming it by this name, unlike the hexadecimal system. 😁

Sexagesimal notation has been in use for about 7000 years or > 60,480,000:00'00" And duodecimal (0x12) is another system that predates the Greek move toward decimal 0x10. which used 5 groups of 10 (we see this today in the Greek derived Roman numeral system using MDCLXVI)

Babylonians actually used 6 groups of 10, while Chinese used 5 groups of 12.  since 6, 12, and 60 are each Superior highly composite numbers and Colossally abundant numbers the factorization and multiplication is simplified under those bases.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(814 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

OK; you never heard of it.  But it is a commonly named feature of calculators.  This is from the Casio web site:

paul_cardinale_0-1670880490240.png

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(793 Views)