LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with driver for Thermotron 8800 in LabVIEW 8.0

I'm having trouble with the IVI driver for the Thermotron 8800 test chamber for use with LabVIEW 8.0. After downloading and installing, I am trying to run the 8800 example VI that it comes with. The problem is that the "initialize", "close", "get parameter name", etc. VI's are not there. I'm not sure if they should be there, with the IVI architecture. I am new to this. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(4,193 Views)
Hi bskinner,

This driver is provided by Thermotron, so all of the information I have is from the README which is included with the driver download.  Basically, the driver they provide is only for LabWindows/CVI.  In order to use this driver in LabVIEW, it is necessary to convert LabWindows/CVI function panels to LabVIEW VIs.

In order to do this, you need to download and install the LabVIEW Interface Generator for LabWindows/CVI Instrument Drivers.  After you have installed this utility, you will have the menu option Tools->Instrumentation->Create VI Interface to CVI Instrument Driver.  Follow the steps in the wizard to convert the .fp file (Located in C:\TH8800\TH8800.fp by default) to a set of VIs.  You will then have to browse to the DLL in this same folder, and when prompted choose to continue with the current dll.

This will take a wile but will create VIs for each function, and place them in the instrument driver pallette.  Let us know if you have any trouble with the process and we can try to help.

Jason S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 17
(4,182 Views)
Thanks, Jason. I missed that readme somehow. Now when I go to create the drivers from the fp file, it asks for a ".sub file (IVI only)". I cannot find this file. When I continue the process without it, the vi's come out non-executable. Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(4,173 Views)
I did the conversion on my computer and I was never asked for a .sub file, although I did have to direct it to the proper location of the dll.

When does it ask you for the .sub files?

Message 4 of 17
(4,170 Views)
If you choose the "advanced" setup for the cvi driver generator it will ask you for the .sub file. I tried it again using the "basic" setup, and it only asked for the fp file and the dll file. I gave it the th8800.fp file and the th8800.dll file. The drivers don't seem to be functional. At the end of the process it generated the report I have attached.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(4,165 Views)
I did the conversion in LabVIEW 7.1 and it generated everything without any errors. I have no way of testing them but you are welcome to the files. Before I did the conversion, I also moved the .fp and .dll files to the locations they are supposed to be in the VXIpnp folder.
Message 6 of 17
(4,153 Views)
Thank you, Dennis. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. Now I can open up the example VI and everything looks good. No broken wires with the sub-VI's you sent me. Now to get the thing talking to the Thermotron.......
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(4,143 Views)
Bskinner,  I see you were attempting to communicate with an 8800 controller back in May.  Have you had much luck doing so since?  I am extremely new at labview and need to communicate with our Thermotron 8800 controllers here.   Do you have an example VI you could send or post?  I am looking to pull thermocouple data via Ethernet for logging purpose.  How were you connected?  Any information you would be willing to share would be much appriciated.  I really need some help to get started. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(4,007 Views)
I am trying to do this with 8.0 and none of the VI's are working. I can't find any of the .dll's so none of the VI's come up as executable
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,889 Views)
You first go here which will redirect to the actual download site. The dll has to be installed in your VXIpnp\WinNT\Bin folder
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,880 Views)