LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Write to spreadsheet file.vi vs. Write delimited spreadsheet.vi

It was not a reproach at all.

I was just noting that opinions differ as to what is an "issue"...

In the thread I started I was essentially targeted as the bad guy who sees evil around every corner, while NI was giving a pass for releasing a revamped VI that was not to be used without extra (and undocumented) precaution in a "replace" action.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,769 Views)

If I may reactivate that thread (hopefully monitored, since there is a CAR for it), that revamped VI is missing a critical information for write tasks, namely whether or not it has been cancelled by the user. I'd suggest to add this output to the VI (assuming it is worked on).

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,622 Views)

@X. wrote:

If I may reactivate that thread (hopefully monitored, since there is a CAR for it), that revamped VI is missing a critical information for write tasks, namely whether or not it has been cancelled by the user. I'd suggest to add this output to the VI (assuming it is worked on).

You will get error 43 when the user cancels it.  That is simple enough to detect.  I do not see a reason for another output.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,615 Views)

Fair enough. However, notice the quasi-omnipresence of that output in other file functions:

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 13.17.35.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 13.18.55.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 13.19.18.png

etc...

It would simplify code consistency to not have to handle a specific error code to test for an expected user action (I would never have considered cancelling an action as an error if anyone had bothered to ask me).

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,605 Views)

X. wrote: (I would never have considered cancelling an action as an error if anyone had bothered to ask me).

But do notice that you do get an error out of those primitives as well (error code 43).  My initial reaction matches yours, but as I have used it, it does make a lot of sense to throw the error since nothing down the line should work.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,596 Views)

hello, 

I met a problem. i creart a program in labview 2016, and build a application .exe, Write delimited spreadsheet.vi had been used to this program.  this application exe does work and creat a spreadsheet file.  

i copy this application exe to another computer, and the labview 2013 had been installed to this computer.  then , this applicatin exe can't creat the spreadsheet file. i have check the path, it's not problem. can you tell me the reason? thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,542 Views)

You'll have to provide more information than that.

Does the VI work on the other PC within LV2013 development environment?

Check to make sure that the Write to Spreadsheet File is all wired up correctly in LV 2013.  The connector panels are slightly different between the two subVI's.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,541 Views)

thank you very much, i have found the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,521 Views)

Please give a quick description to what you found.  That way if someone in the future reads the thread trying to solve a similar problem, they can learn from your experience.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,515 Views)

@Nicholasamy wrote:

hello, 

I met a problem. i creart a program in labview 2016, and build a application .exe, Write delimited spreadsheet.vi had been used to this program.  this application exe does work and creat a spreadsheet file.  

i copy this application exe to another computer, and the labview 2013 had been installed to this computer.  then , this applicatin exe can't creat the spreadsheet file. i have check the path, it's not problem. can you tell me the reason? thank you very much.

You need the 2016 runtime. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,509 Views)