LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Newport motion controller ESP 300

Hello guys,

I am again struck at a point and this time with my stepper motor. My stepper motors (UTM series) and controller (ESP 300) were bought from Newport Co. I am using that to scan the sample in YZ directions (Y being horizontal and Z being vertical). The path is ziz-zag like in diagram which has been attached.

I am attaching three main codes:

Motion_Update_Final.vià This code only moves single motor based on the axis number that you choose and also display the updated position of motor after time interval specified by “Delay (ms)”. I am totally satisfied with this code.

Experimental_Path.viàThis is frequently used in other codes where either motors and photodiode or motors and CCD codes are integrated. Based on Y_Initial, Y_Final, Z_Initial, Z_Final, Y_StepSize, Z_StepSize, this program will creates a zigzag path and store Y and Z coordinates of path in separate subarrays Y_Array and Z_Array. I am also happy with this one.

ONLY_MOTION_Y_Only.vi: This basically separates each elements of Y and Z arrays one at a time and moves only Y-motor (does not do anything with Z-motor). This is just a test code. If I am using this code, then display (both on this code as well as on controller diaplay) fails to update. The motor may not be moving though I hear the sound.

Please let me  know where I am going wrong.

Thanks,

DK

Message Edited by Dushyant on 09-14-2005 04:47 PM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,739 Views)
Dushyant,
First off my compliments on the information you've provided.

However, I don't fully understand your question. What does "display" mean? Are you talking about the front panel of your program or a digital display on a piece of hardware? In either event, that the "display" doesn't update might mean that you have an indicator outside of a looping structure that may only update once the loop completes. As for the instrument updating its display, I suggest writing a very small program that sends a single set of coordinates to the device and see if the display updates. If it doesn't, then you'll need to examine the calls being made to your device. If it does work, then compare the two pieces of code using highlight execution to find out what's different.

Best Regards,

Chris C
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,731 Views)
Hi Chris,
Thanks a lot for having a look at my code.

First of all, I must recognize the help I am getting from NI enginners as well as from the people at discussion forum. Without the help of u guys, my life would have been tougher.

When I am talking about "display", I mean both the display of ESP 300 controller as well as "update informations" on front panel of "ONLY_MOTION_Y_Only.vi" (One good thing is that both gives the same reading even if my code is not working properly).

There is no problem with the ESP 300 controller and I have already tested a small code which send the info to move motors to new locations and updates. That code is "Motion_Update_Final.vi" and this program is along with the other attachments of my original post.

In "ONLY_MOTION_Y_Only.vi", I am generating a zig-zag path and then using "Motion_Update_Final.vi" to move to successive coordinates and update. Yes, In this code I am only using motion along single axis even if path is 2D (I am just trying to simplifying the problem).

I am not able to understand why  "ONLY_MOTION_Y_Only.vi" does not work effectively if "Motion_Update_Final.vi" works fine and also path generated is right?

Once again thanking for ur help,
Dushyant

Message Edited by Dushyant on 09-15-2005 03:41 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,730 Views)

Hi Chris,

I believed that I figured out the problem. It was same "integer" and "real" issue. So, please do not spend your valuable time trying to sort out the problem.

I am still cheking my code. I would let you know if there is still some problem.

Thanks for help and sorry that my stupidity caused loss of your valuable time,

Dushyant 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,719 Views)
Good morning Dushyant,
I'm really glad to hear that things are up and running and thanks for all your kind words. And I definitely agree with you. The answers given by the community of discussion forum subscribers is AMAZING and I greatly appreciate everyone's time and efforts in both posting and answering questions. I believe this community makes everyone's programming tasks easier and more enjoyable. Thanks all!!!!!

Chris C
Applications Engineering
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,710 Views)