LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem printing to PDF

Solved!
Go to solution

I've tried a few different 3rd party programs to print to PDF, but keep getting errors. The goal is to print the .vi Front Panel to a programmatically determined file. Screen shots fo the errors are attached.

I've tried Bullzip:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-22555#comment-27786

Error 1172

And Exaprom:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-10952

Error 1386

And PDF Creator:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-4552

Error -2147221164

I've tried reinstalling the programs, the pdf creators, and the .NET framework, but I feel I'm missing something.

I'm using LV 2014 on Windows 8.1.

Thank you!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,318 Views)
Do you only see these problems when printing from LV? Or does any attempt to print generate errors?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,259 Views)
I only have the problem in Labview. I'm able to use any of the PDF printers when using other applications.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,248 Views)
OK, if you manually print (no code) does that work?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,229 Views)
Yes
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,225 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author COIEngineer

Hi COIEngineer,

I installed and opened the BullPrint Example and was able to duplicate the error you are recieving when I pointed it to a .vi file directly, but was able to get it to successfully print when pointed to an image file. Could you possibly print to a jpg, print that file to a pdf, and then delete the original(if you don't want the original file).

That error is generated when the pdf printer is unsure how to handle printing the file type specified.

Tanner B.
Systems R&D Engineer - Aerospace, Defense, and Government
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,172 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author COIEngineer

With Exaprom, you need to unlock the DLL. Right click on the DLL and select Unblock.

For me, the option to unblock wasn't available.  This from a stackoverflow post helped:

"I've often ran into this same problem when downloading files. Windows-7 will not always display the unblock button. Here are a couple easy workarounds:

First to verify the file is actually blocked, open a command prompt and type:

more < yourFile.exe:Zone.Identifer

If it reports your file has a ZoneId = 3 or 4, your file is indeed blocked. You have two easy options to unblock it:

First Method: If you have PowerShell version 3 or higher, you can open a PowerShell window and type:

C:\>Unblock-File -Path C:\Path\ToFile\yourFile.exe

To open a PowerShell window type powershell into the run box. To check your PowerShell version, type this from the PowerShell prompt:

C:\> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Second Method: If you don't have that version of PowerShell installed, you could install it for free but there is a much faster download. Download the free streams program from sysinternals:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897440.aspx and from a command prompt type:

streams -d C:\Path\ToFile\yourFile.exe."

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,164 Views)

Double post from slow internet speeds today and me being impaitent...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,163 Views)

@Tanner! wrote:

Hi COIEngineer,

I installed and opened the BullPrint Example and was able to duplicate the error you are recieving when I pointed it to a .vi file directly, but was able to get it to successfully print when pointed to an image file. Could you possibly print to a jpg, print that file to a pdf, and then delete the original(if you don't want the original file).

That error is generated when the pdf printer is unsure how to handle printing the file type specified.

Thank you!! This is a functional workaround. For reference, it also does not know what to do with .png files. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,153 Views)

@BowenM wrote:

With Exaprom, you need to unlock the DLL. Right click on the DLL and select Unblock.

For me, the option to unblock wasn't available.  This from a stackoverflow post helped:

"I've often ran into this same problem when downloading files. Windows-7 will not always display the unblock button. Here are a couple easy workarounds:

First to verify the file is actually blocked, open a command prompt and type:

more < yourFile.exe:Zone.Identifer

If it reports your file has a ZoneId = 3 or 4, your file is indeed blocked. You have two easy options to unblock it:

First Method: If you have PowerShell version 3 or higher, you can open a PowerShell window and type:

C:\>Unblock-File -Path C:\Path\ToFile\yourFile.exe

To open a PowerShell window type powershell into the run box. To check your PowerShell version, type this from the PowerShell prompt:

C:\> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Second Method: If you don't have that version of PowerShell installed, you could install it for free but there is a much faster download. Download the free streams program from sysinternals:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897440.aspx and from a command prompt type:

streams -d C:\Path\ToFile\yourFile.exe."

This solved the problem with Exaprom, and produces a nicer image than having to convert from jpg. I unblocked the .DLL, restarted Labview, and it worked. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,148 Views)