Did you mean: 

Problem in getting the flow meter output in g/sec

Hello santosh,

You mean like this?

Rawoof_1-1646693756261.png

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(608 Views)

These devices are usually only calibrated for a few select gas/liquids and they have to be told what the gas or fluid is to report correctly. They have a LabVIEW driver for serial communication. Doing an analog read will only give you values for whatever gas/fluid the device is selected to report. 

https://www.bronkhorst.com/en-us/products-en/accessories-and-software/flowware/labview/ 

Message 12 of 21
(607 Views)

@Rawoof wrote:

Hello santosh,

You mean like this?

Rawoof_1-1646693756261.png

yes, that works if the full-scale signal of the sensor is 1 g/s and outputs a 0-10V analog signal

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 13 of 21
(600 Views)

@StevenD wrote:

These devices are usually only calibrated for a few select gas/liquids and they have to be told what the gas or fluid is to report correctly. They have a LabVIEW driver for serial communication. Doing an analog read will only give you values for whatever gas/fluid the device is selected to report. 

https://www.bronkhorst.com/en-us/products-en/accessories-and-software/flowware/labview/ 

Definitely need to watch out here. It does depend on the type of mass flow meter but if it is a thermal mass flow meter, then the calibration will be specific to a certain medium, be it gas or liquid, since the thermodynamic properties of the medium that is measured can change significantly depending on the gas or fluid.

If it is a flow meter that uses the Coriolis or ultrasonic measurement method, the measured mass flow is independent of the thermodynamic properties of the measured medium and you don't need to recalibrated the meter for the new medium.

Bronkhorst offers calibration services for specific gas sorts when you purchase a flow meter and you can have it recalibrated for specific gasses later on. You can also use conversion factors if you want to measure a different gas than what the meter is configured for, most Bronkhorst controllers allow to configure a built in gas selection which will actually correct this already inside the meter in software. However you need to watch out as the specified range of a meter only is valid for the specified gas. With a different gas the actual possible range can be quite different to the specified range according to the conversion factors.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 14 of 21
(586 Views)

Hello Santosh and Gerd,

Many thanks for the response now got a clear idea and went a little further to add two more sensors but I have another problem in getting the output in equal intervals.

I have a problem getting the output of my two thermocouples(T1 and T2) and the flow meter(m.dot) outputs at equal intervals as shown below.

I have used the sample clock to set the sample rate at 20 Hz and samples per channel along with the sample mode.

I'm getting the outputs at random intervals but not at every 50 milliseconds, as shown in the output data.

I want the outputs at every 50 milliseconds as 0.050,0.100,0.150 etc.

Here I'm attaching the code along with the supporting figures. 

Thanks in advance

Rawoof

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(582 Views)

@Rolf K

Thanks for the info, as I'm measuring the mass flow rate of the oxygen. how exactly do I use these conversion factors? can you please elaborate.

Note: calibration certificate is enclosed.

Rawoof_0-1646753406234.png

Rawoof_1-1646753513760.pngRawoof_3-1646753890407.png

Rawoof_2-1646753592120.png

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(562 Views)

Hi Rawoof,

@Rawoof wrote:

but I have another problem in getting the output in equal intervals.

I have a problem getting the output of my two thermocouples(T1 and T2) and the flow meter(m.dot) outputs at equal intervals as shown below.

I have used the sample clock to set the sample rate at 20 Hz and samples per channel along with the sample mode.

You still didn't say which DAQ hardware you are using!

Usually I recommend not to put channels from different IO modules into the same task: are you using a cDAQ chassis with several modules? (If yes: which ones?)

You also measure the time in parallel to your DAQmxRead function: this might not be as accurate as expected…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 17 of 21
(551 Views)

Well you can see that your device is actually calibrated for N2 or Air, which both have the same conversion factor of 1.0. O2 has a conversion factor of 0.98 so is almost equivalent and unless 2% accuracy is a problem for you, you would not necessarily have to do a numeric correction of  the measurement values.

The Bronkhorst devices usually have a register in which you can select from a number of gasses for the one you want to measure, which applies the conversion factor from that table. Or you can apply that conversion factor yourself after reading the value. And if you want to be really completely accurate you can send in your device and have it calibrated for the gas that you want to measure. That is of course not a free service.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 18 of 21
(548 Views)

Hello GredW,

I use the following

chassis-NI-SCXI-1000 

Modules-NI SCXI-1125, NI SCXI-1102B

Terminal blocks-NI SCXI-1320, NI SCXI-1303.

So it is better to put two parallel channels?

Also is there any other better way to give the sample rate instead of using a DAQmx timing(sample clock)?

Thanks,

Rawoof

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(540 Views)

Hello RolfK,

Thanks, got it, probably I may need to recalibrate it for the oxygen.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(537 Views)