cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in Block Diagram Editing

Solved!
Go to solution

@ssingh1 wrote: 

Thanks for your reply. I could not exactly understand your words "origin is way off center".

Did you meant to say that some stray block diagram object may be lying far away that the rest of the Block Diagram's center? I checked on that and center seems to be ok to me.

I am wildly guessing here.  What are the coordinates of the top left element, for example. If it would be near the bottom right edge of the valid coordinate system, you might run into issues too. Not sure. What is the history of the block diagram? For example did you do a lot of diagram cleanup operations?

Did you try to do a ctrl+a (select all) followed by pasting the diagram into a fresh VI to see if the problem remains?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(1,215 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@ssingh1 wrote: 

Thanks for your reply. I could not exactly understand your words "origin is way off center".

Did you meant to say that some stray block diagram object may be lying far away that the rest of the Block Diagram's center? I checked on that and center seems to be ok to me.

I am wildly guessing here.  What are the coordinates of the top left element, for example. If it would be near the bottom right edge of the valid coordinate system, you might run into issues too. Not sure. What is the history of the block diagram? For example did you do a lot of diagram cleanup operations?

Did you try to do a ctrl+a (select all) followed by pasting the diagram into a fresh VI to see if the problem remains?

Dear Altenbach and All Friends,

Thanks for your reply. I am attaching Demo VI with only two states remaining of my Full VI but it is still able to replicate problem.

On the Block Diagram try to move using keyboard any item and see. Though in this Demo VI problem (of VI Block Diagram expansion) is self corrected after moving any item for few steps and in the main VI it keeps on moving and is slow too.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,188 Views)

Hi ssingh,

I can move any item in your DemoVI (by selecting it and using the keyboard) - without moving anything else in the VI.

Your VI does NOT show your described problem…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(1,180 Views)

I tried opening your Demo1 in LabVIEW 2017.  I don't have the JKI State Machine installed, nor the ADO Toolkit, so I "ignored all errors" when loading.  If I tried to move the multi-line String Constant in the center of the (too-large) Block Diagram using the keyboard's up and down arrows, I saw some left-right shifts of the whole Block Diagram for the first 13 upward movements, then it stopped.  Too bad I couldn't (simultaneously on my Laptop Screen) see what was happening anywhere else on the Block Diagram (fortunately the Case Selector and some "broken wires" were visible on the otherwise uniformly light grey screen so that I could notice the shift).

I have no idea why/how you did this.  However, a "cure" (in my case) is just to move 13 times and "get it over with".  I bet (a beer/glass of wine) reducing the size of the Block Diagram would also help ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,167 Views)

I wonder if this has to do with the graphics card overall quality and/or computer overall quality?  e.g., Video card memory capacity and architecture, as well as CPU and amount of system memory, among other things.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(1,159 Views)

Dear Friends,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions and tips. I think I have been able able to identify the problem . This problem seems to occur when an Block diagram Object is having Large Label which is visible and gets half-hidden/overlapped behind another object in a case structure (probably with Auto Grow Enabled) or by the case structure itself at it's border. Then when we try to move any other object in the case structure or outside of case structure the whole VI starts to expand  towards Left or Right or Both sides.

I had this problem at three places (images attached) in my Main VI. As soon as I hid the Label at all three places or made them to un-overlap or deleted those objects the problem was gone and Block Diagram became as smooth as in a new Blank VI.

Is this a Bug in LabView or some intended Behavior?

With regards

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,151 Views)

Hi ssingh,

Is this a Bug in LabView or some intended Behavior?

It's certainly NOT a bug when LabVIEW tries to obey your block diagram settings regarding AutoGrow!

It's intended behaviour when LabVIEWauto-grows structures to show (partially) hidden labels/comments/objects…

The question is: why don't you follow the LabVIEW style guide?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,145 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ssingh1

Dear GerdW and Everyone Else,

Thanks for your Suggestions and Help. I am writing this for anyone else having this problem in Future.

As suggested by GregW the "LabVIEW style guide" should be followed when using LabVIEW. But if any one runs in this type of problem there is a tool available to "Turn Off Auto Grow Using LabVIEW" given below :-

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Programs/Turn-Off-Auto-Grow-Using-LabVIEW/ta-p/3497485

Seeing the comments it looks like that I am not the only one having this problem Smiley Happy

Regards

Shourya

Message 18 of 19
(1,119 Views)

I ran into this same issue.  Thanks to this post, I was able to also trace the problem to some block diagram objects and labels being behind other objects. 

The strange thing was that the previous time that I had the same VI open, there were no instances of objects/labels behind others, and moving and displaying was fine.  The objects were mysteriously moved around the next time that I opened the VI - a few days later.

Upon further investigation:  In between using LabVIEW, I had changed the Display Settings in Windows to make all text larger (my eyesight isn't what it used to be).  So, the next time I opened a VI in LabVIEW, the text for block diagram labels was larger, forcing several items/labels behind others or against a structure border.

Rather than going through everything and moving things back where they belonged, I just closed all opened VI's and LabVIEW (without saving), then changed my Windows display settings back to default, then opened the same VI again - and all is back to the way it was and working fine (I'll just go back to wearing glasses while I work 🤓)

Message 19 of 19
(1,017 Views)