From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in Block Diagram Editing

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Friends,

I have problem in editing Block diagram of my Main VI. Whenever I try to move any object or wire on my Block diagram the whole block diagram moves (momentarily) with it and same happens when I place that object/wire at final position. This problem makes editing slow and also spacing between other objects in block diagram is also disturbed.

Please find below link of Video of the problem :-

https://youtu.be/asz84Wg6_n8

Please let me know the solution of this problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(3,567 Views)

Hi ssingh,

how big is your block diagram?

Mind to attach your VI?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(3,532 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi ssingh,

how big is your block diagram?

Mind to attach your VI?

Dear GerdW,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes the block diagram is quite large. But I would like to inform I had reduced the size 2-3 months back (VI size came down from 4.8 mb to nearly 3 mb) and that it was working very well previously also at that huge size. Attaching VI may not be possible due to office policy.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(3,526 Views)

HI ssingh,

Yes the block diagram is quite large. But I would like to inform I had reduced the size 2-3 months back

I'm talking about the dimensions in pixels. You find those values using the "VI Metrics" in the Tools->Profile menu.

(VI size came down from 4.8 mb to nearly 3 mb) and that it was working very well previously also at that huge size.

3 MB is still quite large…

You know LabVIEW will compile your VI in the background with every change you do. Did you change the compiler settings in the last time (Tools->Options->Environment)? What happens when you change that setting to other values? (Read the help as mentioned next to that compiler setting slider!)

Attaching VI may not be possible due to office policy.

Can you create an example VI demonstrating the very same problem?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(3,524 Views)

All Block Diagrams should fit on a single Screen.  A better "Style Rule" is All Block Diagrams should fit on a single Laptop Screen (or 1024x768 pixels, or some other "small" rule).

The key to accomplishing this can be summarized by one word:  SubVIs.

Reference:  Peter Blume's "The LabVIEW Style Book".

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I wonder if you haven't accidentally "selected" the entire Block Diagram, which means moving something moves everything ...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(3,503 Views)

I wonder if it has to do with the fancy "real time" block diagram update feature in later versions of LV (2015 +)?  I know this, combined with large block diagrams, can bring your PC to its knees when moving objects, causing all kinds of weirdness.  I forget what the option is, and how to disable it; hopefully this post jogs someone's memory.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(3,488 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Yes the block diagram is quite large. But I would like to inform I had reduced the size 2-3 months back

I'm talking about the dimensions in pixels. You find those values using the "VI Metrics" in the Tools->Profile menu.

Looking at the scrollbars, it does not seem that the block diagram is way oversized, but maybe the origin is way off center. I would try to do a "select all" on the diagram, copy it and paste it into a new VI to see if it makes a difference.

Here is a link explaining the limits for the coordinates..

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(3,478 Views)

Dear GredW,
Thanks for your reply. Please find below my In-Line reply in orange color :-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@GerdW wrote:

HI ssingh,

I am attaching an image for VI Metric, size in pixels seems to be 4750 X 2360.

(VI size came down from 4.8 mb to nearly 3 mb) and that it was working very well previously also at that huge size.

3 MB is still quite large…

You know LabVIEW will compile your VI in the background with every change you do. Did you change the compiler settings in the last time (Tools->Options->Environment)? What happens when you change that setting to other values? (Read the help as mentioned next to that compiler setting slider!)

Yes I did tweaked that setting but it had no effect.

Attaching VI may not be possible due to office policy.

Can you create an example VI demonstrating the very same problem?

All other VIs are working fine, however they are not so large.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(3,453 Views)

@billko wrote:

I wonder if it has to do with the fancy "real time" block diagram update feature in later versions of LV (2015 +)?  I know this, combined with large block diagrams, can bring your PC to its knees when moving objects, causing all kinds of weirdness.  I forget what the option is, and how to disable it; hopefully this post jogs someone's memory.

Dear Bill,

Thanks for your rely. I too suspect that this feature (or some thing similar related to Block-Diagram UI Update) causes this problem.

Can someone Kindly shed more light on this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(3,450 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@GerdW wrote:

Looking at the scrollbars, it does not seem that the block diagram is way oversized, but maybe the origin is way off center. I would try to do a "select all" on the diagram, copy it and paste it into a new VI to see if it makes a difference.

Here is a link explaining the limits for the coordinates..

Dear Altenbach,

Thanks for your reply. I could not exactly understand your words "origin is way off center".

Did you meant to say that some stray block diagram object may be lying far away that the rest of the Block Diagram's center? I checked on that and center seems to be ok to me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,447 Views)