LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem commanding Maury Tuner Controller using LabVIEW

I am trying to control the Motors and thier Position on a Maury Tuner Controller "MT986A" with LabVIEW via the GPIB bus. This is an older style controller (1988) listed as IEE-488 compliant. The controller can presently be controlled using a DOS based program that is no longer supported. I am trying to upgrade the controllers automation to LabVIEW 6i. Any help would be appreciated. I have tried using visa,gpib,488.1 and 488.2 commands and have only succeded in being able to change control from one motor to another. I have not been able to change the position of any motor. My computer is a 733MHz celeron and a PCI-GPIB card.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,362 Views)
What problem are you actually running into? Does the instrument respond to ibic comands in the Windows environment? Does it respond to basic queries like *IDN?. Are you getting any error messages returned by the error cluster in LV?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,362 Views)

were you able to control the Maury MT 986 Tuner in this way what specific command set did you use? Please let me know I am also facing the same problem. I have the command set for the Maury LXI series but not for the MT 986 tuners as they are very old.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,509 Views)

Aaron last visited the forums in 2010.  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to respond to your question.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,496 Views)

lol, i hope someone among them does, I have tried using Visa for controlling the tuner and the standard SCPI commands over the GPIB but its not working. I was wondering how the dude was able to communicate with and change the motors of the tuner.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,491 Views)

Hi,

wow, a 17 years old thread about a 41 year old device…

I was wondering how the dude was able to communicate with and change the motors of the tuner.

The usual answer is: read the (programming) manual.

That can be hard to get for such old devices…

(Sometimes it might be easier to replace such old hardware by new devices.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,459 Views)

Thanks Guys but I have now figured out the problem and the tuner is moving correctly as well. It turns out that maury provides a Dynamic link library which can be called into labview and be used for programming as well as a library node. Initially I was unable to use it as my 64 bit labview couldn't call 32 bit library as windows doesn't support mixed modes but then I downloaded the 32-bit labview software and was able to call the library along with their provided sample program to use the tuner. Also there is no point in even trying to develop a driver for this piece of software as it only supports IEEE 488.1 and is completely indifferent to IEEE 488.2 commands and also all I know is that the library for the driver was written in C using Glib. The company provided and compiled 32-bit DLL library is the only hope of getting this machine to work! or simply buy LXI maury tuner series which supports the standard IEEE 488.2 commands!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,437 Views)

Hello,

I have the same old Maury MT 986 i'd like to use with labview to make some load pull experiments. 

Could you share the dll  ?

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,885 Views)

Hi, I am in a very similar situation, any luck obtaining the dll?

Thanks a lot!

Rob

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,419 Views)