cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem : Lab View Program doesn't run smoothly and fast

@daveTW wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

@jay689 wrote:

Nope.Jay0909. My program is free from any error.

No program is ever free from error, so please be reasonable.

I took this as a joke and I admit I even laughed (shortly).
We all have our dreams... Smiley Wink

No joke. We even have a formula. Back in the seventies, we actually learned in programming class that the last bug can never be found. Things have improved a lot over the last decade, but one of the most successful techniques to fix most computer problem (or any other device: router, music player, smartphone, etc.) is still to reboot it. Why do you think windows update applies software patches on a regular basis? Tiniest bugs tend to accumulate over time, so yes, your computer is still full of them. Every program I have ever written needed a patch here or there, even years later. Bug-free is a myth! 😄

The OP was actually talking about "errors", which is a problem orthogonal to "bugs". Even if the run arrow is not broken and the error-out never shows an error code, the program could be buggier than a formicarium.

(And yes, if somebody still spells LabVIEW as "Lab View" (sic), we'll probably have several other problems  😮 :D)

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(636 Views)

Your number of bugs formula is perplexing. For the units to work out, programmer skills would have to be measured in Bytes^-2.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(619 Views)

Thank you for your explanation as it really enlightened me.The sentence ' My program is free from any error '.What I mean is the program can execute properly ,but I do not mean that my program free from any bugs.

Bugs and error are totally different. Error will cause a  program to be interrupt and cannot run properly,but the program still able to run even the bug is exist.

At the end ,I feel sorry that I cannot post the VI because the VI is confidential .

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(584 Views)

Take out the confidential part, we are only interested in the design structure. When you mentioned you use several producer-consumer in your project, I hope it does not mean several Event structures in a single VI, or does it?? Smiley Surprised

There are several tools which you can use to detect issues during execution, like memory leaks, unhandled events, etc. One of these tools is: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209044

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(576 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

I hope it does not mean several Event structures in a single VI, or does it?? Smiley Surprised

Most of my programs have 2 (or even more) event structures in the toplevel VI 😄 (of course each in it's own toplevel loop)

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(551 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@Blokk wrote:

I hope it does not mean several Event structures in a single VI, or does it?? Smiley Surprised

Most of my programs have 2 (or even more) event structures in the toplevel VI 😄 (of course each in it's own toplevel loop)

But i guess only one is dedicated to the top level GUI? The others deal with dynamic events (or hardware things)? I have seen issues in the past when the programmer used multiple event loops for the very same GUI...

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(532 Views)

You have a large (how large?  How many VIs?  How much "screen space" does the largest VI occupy?  Is it in a LabVIEW Project file/folder?) LabVIEW Project that has "no errors", but possibly has "bugs", and is running slower and slower as you add to it.  You also cannot post it as it contains proprietary/confidential information.

I recommend you check out (https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Developers-Seeking/bd-p/JobSearch), the Forum for LabVIEW Developers Seeking Employment.  You can potentially hire an Expert, sign him/her to a Non-Disclosure Agreement, and get the advice we cannot give you.  You might not appreciate the advice:  I have a colleague who frequently calls me to say "My program isn't working", I take a look at his 3-screen Block Diagram, with wires all over the place (after working together for several years, he does have more sub-VIs in his code, so its at least not a 6-screen BD), and say "You need to Start Over, writing the Documentation of What you want the code to do, and not worrying yet about How you will do it".  Needless to say, since I'm not being paid (by him), he doesn't listen, and we make a band-aid fix ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(522 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

@Blokk wrote:

But i guess only one is dedicated to the top level GUI? The others deal with dynamic events (or hardware things)? I have seen issues in the past when the programmer used multiple event loops for the very same GUI...

Yes, I have seen serious issues in the past, even with people using only a single (or even no) event structure too. 😄 We need to follow certain rules under any conditions. It is possible that I will discuss some of this at my upcoming NI-Week talk. But no, I don't user hardware much and I never use dynamic events 😄

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(501 Views)