From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post-execution action from Installer

Hi

I use to use a post execution action in my exe compiler, in order to add folders and manage their rights wia CMD functions. everything work very well

problem: this function doesn't work when the executable is deployed form an installer

Do you have a suggestion to solve this?

thanks in advance

Pierre FCentum TNS, Grenoble
Certified LabVIEW Associated Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,048 Views)

I assume you understand why this may work when you do a Build from the Project, but not when you do an "Install", when the Deployed machine won't have access to the files needed on the "Building" machine.

Here's one way to Have Your Cake and Eat It, Too.  There's a Data folder that is part of the Build structure.  Have your Post-Build Action move the files you need to access to the Data File (rather than to a specific Absolute or Relative path, as at present).  Include as part of the Initialization Code (meaning those VIs that run first in your Program) a routine to do what the Post-Build Action does, but copying the files from the Data Folder (where the Post-Build Action put them) to "where you want them to go" in the Deployed Machine.  Alternatively, since the files are in a "known location" (namely the Data Folder), just change your code to reference their Path to this folder, which I would expect to be in the same place relative to the Executable, whether Built or Installed.

Disclaimer -- I've only done a few (simple) Installers, so I could be completely wrong about some key detail in the above suggestion.  But the best part of Free Advice is ... You Get What You Paid For.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,022 Views)