From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Installation Issue for LabVIEW 2019

Solved!
Go to solution

I have LabVIEW 2016, 2017, and 2018 installed on my Laptop.  I downloaded the LabVIEW 2019 "installation kit" from the site found searching for "LabVIEW 2019 Download", and got an Installation file that upgraded NIPM to Version 2019 and then started the download/install process.

I chose 32-bit LabVIEW, VIPM, Real-Time, and Vision, and for drivers, DAQmx, VISA, PXI, and Vision.  During the "Feed" optional software, I turned most of the options off unless they fit into the above categories (but did take the Report Generation Toolkit).

Installation proceeded for a while, then stopped with an error, suggesting that I'd lost internet connection (possible -- I was doing it from my hotel during NIWeek).  Repeated, failed, repeated, failed.  Went home.  Tried again, got a little further, then failed.  Now the failure involved NI-roco (which, I think, stands for "Route Control", I think involving routing timing and other signals in DAQ devices).

I strongly suspect that this must have something to do with having earlier versions of LabVIEW installed on this machine.  I'll experiment and report back.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,905 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bob_Schor

Success!!  I noticed that the updated NIPM 2019 was installed, so I started it (instead of the downloaded "Installer-installer") and notice I had 53 updates!  So I said "First install the updates".  It did a few, then Bang!, NI-roco failed again.  So I started doing the remaining updates one at a time.  About the third or fourth, I saw it start NI-roco, and it succeeded.  So I did a few more updates, then did the rest of the updates, then proceeded to complete the original Install of 4 Packages + 4 Drivers + miscellaneous other "Feeds".  Success.  I now have LabVIEW 2019 (32-bit) up and running along side LabVIEW 2016, 2017, and 2018.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 7
(4,870 Views)

Double Ha (as in "Ha, ha")!  After the Saga with Installing on the Laptop, I got cautious in Installing on the Work Desktop.  I built a Windows 10 VM, installed LabVIEW 2018, ran LabVIEW Update to update it to LabVIEW 18.5, rebooted, installed the Update to NIPM to NIPM 19.0, rebooted (or at least I think I rebooted), then used NIPM to install LabVIEW 2019.  Same system as with Laptop -- LabVIEW, Real-Time, Vision, DAQmx, VISA, PXI, and IMAQdx.

First install, got about 20% (wasn't paying close attention) through and hit the NI-RoCo "Installation Error".  Since I'd already updated LabVIEW 2018 (and thought I "fixed the problem"), I logged a Support Ticket with NI and proceeded to continue with them on the phone.

I rebooted, and restarted the Installation (as before, by opening NIPM and selecting all the options I wanted).  This time, I noticed it breezing right past the NI-RoCo installation, so I said "OK, you need to do it twice, and it will work."  Famous Last Words -- got to about 95% done, and a different (and more obscure) error pops up.

Third Time's Charm -- rebooted, re-ran same installation, it installed fewer things (much was already installed) and completed without further ado.

This is NI's "Snark" -- What I Install Three Times Is True.  [Hat's Off to those who get this near-quote].

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,767 Views)

I'm currently running the Installer but have already run into (what I define as) problems.

I do NOT want to cache NI Software on my C Drive but the NIPM does not offer any settings to define where to save these files.  I have managed to trick NIPM by making a Junction Point on my File System pointing to another drive but this is annoying me.  Not only can I not choose where to install the software to but not even being able to decide where to download the packages to is annoying.  Think of all the VM HDDs exploding right now.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,730 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

Think of all the VM HDDs exploding right now.

Mine "exploded".  I originally built a 64-bit Win 10 system with a 60 GB disk, and about 50 GB free, then started installing.  I chose to install LabVIEW 2018 and 2019 -- I suspected I'd need a larger disk (I have a VM with 2016, 2017, and 2018 and I made it 80 Gb, which seems "big enough").  Turns out that's too small -- I'm currently rebuilding it on a 120 Gb VM, which is sufficient ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,701 Views)

Not sure if you are aware but most hard drive file formats can be expanded if needed to add more space without having to start over with a new VM and OS install.  On top of that there are dynamic hard drive sizes so you set to the size to be 500GB and it takes up only how much space is used.  Now setting this to be smaller is a good way to keep your disk size in check rather than being surprised by VMs taking up more space than you expected.  My point is just that you can set these to be large, and then do some temporary folder clean up once in a while.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,698 Views)

I did know that (and that's how I made my 120 Gb VM -- I "cloned" my 60 Gb Master VM, expanded its (Virtual) Disk, then started it and expanded the C: drive to use the extra 60 Gb.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,692 Views)