LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Position command of a DC motor using a cRIO9082, NI9514 and Kollmorgen AKD

Hello, everyone!

I just began an internship and I'm terribly new to LabVIEW, I have to implement a VI able to control the position of a DC motor (AKM12E) and to chose between different kinds of control loops even if for now I would just be glad if I could get a PI to work.

The main problem I have is that I have no idea how to communicate with the motor through LabVIEW.

I got one example to work but it's some kind of black box using the straight-line move module and I can't modify it to do what I really want.

I tried to replicate the content of this module but failed twice.

I also tried using the DAQ assistant but I can't find the device I'm trying to communicate with.

I would gladly show you guys some screenshots of the project but I don't have access to the lab this morning, maybe this afternoon. I hope you can help me out because it's been a week I've been trying to move this motor without the example and I've tried so many different ways I have no idea which one is supposed to work.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,687 Views)

How did you establish communication between cRIO and the corresponding motor?

Did you try to find your device through NI MAX?

Did you get any response from the motor when you run the Example VI given to you?

Add 273 on whatever Celcius said.
-Kelvin
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,671 Views)

Thank you for your answer!

The cRIO is connected to the motor through a NI9514 motor drive, which is connected to a power supply, and a Kollmorgen AKD, which in turn is connected to the motor both by a power cable and a feedback cable.

I have not yet tried to find it using NI MAX, I will make sure to do so this afternoon when I will have access to the lab.

Yes, the Example VI is successfully commanding the motor but I have no idea how.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,666 Views)

They made it most propably via VISA connection. You better watch some videos which shows how to connect a device through NI MAX. Because there are some small procedures to be followed before succesfully establishling the connection. Eventhough you tried and couldn't succeed than type in here again. Surely some one will guide you.

Add 273 on whatever Celcius said.
-Kelvin
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,658 Views)

Thank you very much for your help! Back to work!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,654 Views)

Okay so, after a few days getting up close and personal with the system I have found out that the reason why I couldn't use a DAQ Assistant to retrieve data from the motor is because it is not directly connected to the computer, it is connected to the computer with an ethernet wire through a router.

The cRIO displays in MAX under the Remote Systems category, and I have no idea how to get data from a remote system, any help?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,595 Views)