From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poperty Node System session -> Hostname responding with DNS name?

Hi there,

in the attached snippet, the Poperty node will reply with the hostname (i.e. "HelloWorld") when deployed from the development GUI - which is correct - and with the DNS name (i.e. "HelloWorld.local") when deployed stand-alone to the RT system (sbRIO 9627 in my case). Is this an intended behaviour? If yes, why would I want the property "hostname" to not reply with the hostname? How do I retrieve *only* the hostname?

TY!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,759 Views)

If you "get help" for the Hostname property, you'll see "Specifies the requested hostname for a remote system or network device.  This may or may not be the same as the DNS name".

You've discovered that for your sbRIO RT system, there's a ".local" tag on the end.  Getting rid of that "known" tag is a simple matter for a String function (I'd probably use "Scan from String" with a format of %s.local, but I'd test it to make sure it worked as I wanted).

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 3
(2,706 Views)

Thanks Bob.

So indeed it is a non-deterministic behaviour how the hostname property will respond? ... (!!) ... A property with "may or may not be" as description is far from being a helpful property to be very honest.

Regarding the workaround of deleting the ".local" part: Is this deterministic? Will the ".local" attachement be the same for other sbRIOs? Background: I am planning to mass-deploy this on a number of systems, which should all react to different config files according to their hostname. If there is a better way to do this, *PLS* let me know. 😉

TY and best regard,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,666 Views)