LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polar Plots

Morning/Evening Gurus (*delete as appropriate),

Is it possible to generate polar plots like the one in the attached? I have three inputs, a direction, a radial position and 3rd value for the colour scale (wind direction, windspeed then a gas pollutant from a weather station). I am basically looking for a Labview equivalent of Openair, if that means anything.

Thanks in advance

MancPablo_0-1668287212029.png

"When I read about the horrors of drinking, I gave up reading"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(1,752 Views)

I am sure you could just use an intensity graph and map your data into the grid accordingly Using interpolation for missing grid points..

You can use "plot images" feature to overlay the circular scales, etc.)

Similarly, you can use a 2D picture indicator.

Do you have some typical data?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(1,733 Views)

Either way, you need to map your data into a rectangular grid (which is also the case of your example images). For an example of overlaying grid lines and markers, have a look here.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(1,714 Views)

Hi All,

Thanks for the info,and sorry for the slow response in replying. I was out of office last week.

I'll have a look at the thread and also try and post some data as an example.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(1,586 Views)

Got some data together in between teaching undergrads! This would be the sort of thing, with a signal, a radial position and a direction. Would this work on your example code?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(1,537 Views)

Hi Pablo,

@MancPablo wrote:

This would be the sort of thing, with a signal, a radial position and a direction.

Something like this:

Now you need to implement an interpolation algorithm to "fill" the blank space between your data samples…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(1,519 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Now you need to implement an interpolation algorithm to "fill" the blank space between your data samples…

the easiest way is to accumulate a 2d Histogram with rectangular or square 'bins'

alexderjuengere_0-1669828570501.png

Spoiler
2d-histogram_square.png
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(1,441 Views)

2dhisto-squares.gif

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(1,438 Views)

You could check this toolkit out

https://www.vipm.io/package/heliosphere_research_llc_lib_advanced_plotting_toolkit/#:~:text=The%20Ad....

I don't know if it will solve your problem but it has some handy plots you can make.

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(1,412 Views)

@alexderjuengere wrote:

@GerdW wrote:

the easiest way is to accumulate a 2d Histogram with rectangular or square 'bins'

it is common to smooth the flat square bin with a 2d Gaussian Kernel as shown here:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/gaussian-filter/m-p/2443278#M38836

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(1,387 Views)