From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play waveform express vi - list devices on front panel?

When configuring the "play waveform express vi" via the block diagram, one of the options to choose is the sound device (via a dropdown list).

The express vi also has an input that can be used to specify the sound device by supplying a number (e.g. via a front panel numeric control).

Is it possible to get the dropdown list to appear on the front panel as a control? I don't want to manually create the front panel dropdown list based on the sound devices on a particular computer - I want the control to be agnostic to the computer I run the vi on.

So I suppose essentially what I want is a dropdown list / menu list which gets autopopulated when the vi is launched based on the sound devices of the current computer.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,190 Views)

Even though you see dropdown menu when you select the express VI, inside the express VI it is normal control. So when you select create control you wont get drop down menu,

To see this right click on the express VI and select open front panel, replace the control with the type of drop down you want to have and save that as another VI and you should be good to go.

Let me know if this is what you want.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,185 Views)

They are using some undocumented functions in the sound library. Take a look here http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/read-all-in-buffer-sound-input/m-p/855437#M387823

And see my replay dated  02-17-2009 12:14 PM it is the "Sound inpit quick and dirty.vi" Then just converting the Express VI to a proper VU. You will not find the config part 

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,178 Views)

@systemcrash, thanks i did'nt know that - just starting with labview. However, even after converting it to a standard vi, I cannot easily list the sound devices via a front panel control, but I suppose thats where Coq Rouge's reply comes in.

@Coq Rouge, Thanks for pointing me to your vi. When I run this vi, I only get one sound device listed in your control. However, the play waveform express vi lists 3 sound devices in its configuration dialog box.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,166 Views)

The VI you are looking for is the this C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\vi.lib\sound2\_PlayWaveformConfig.llb\Configure PlayWaveform.vi. I also tested My VI and it works just fine on my computer.

Anyway, and this is important. Never modify VIs in the vi.lib folfer. Always make a copy to a folder outside the vi.lib folder. Then rename before start working on it 

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,163 Views)