cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Piezoactuator control through Labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm working on a project where I use Newport's PZC200 controller to manipulate their PZA12 piezoactuator. I would like to use Labview to communicate with the controller, but I'm having trouble setting up the COM port. I'm using the Labview code provided by Newport attached below. When I plug the controller through an RS-232 to USB converter into my computer, it says that the usb device malfunctioned. When using the query function in the Labview code, no value is returned.

I'm at a loss for what to do next because it doesn't look like my computer is recognizing the PZC200 device at all. Has anybody used these products before and can you provide some guidance? Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,463 Views)

The message saying that the USB device malfunctioned probably means you have a crappy USB to RS232 adapter and it has nothing to do with Newport at all. 

Quite a lot of RS232 converters for USB are cheap junk and often use counterfeit chips.  Your best bet is one of these, as it's very high quality and uses a FTDI chipset.

There is a small chance it's just a bad USB port on your PC though.  Try the adapter on other USB ports and on other PCs and see if it works on them.

Message 2 of 9
(3,444 Views)

It's a driver problem. You need to right click the device in device manager, update driver, download a different driver from the internet, use the "have disk" option, etc

Message 3 of 9
(3,440 Views)

The computer usb ports work, but I'll look in to the adapter, and may order a new one. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,364 Views)

I'm not entirely sure where I can download the driver for the PZC 200 controller, and I don't think it's on the product page. I also downloaded the Newport program that is supposed to work with the device, and it doesn't do anything. The device pops up in device manager as an "Unknown Serial Device."

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,359 Views)

First a question:

You only have the PZC200 handheld controller or also a PZC-SB switchbox?

The PZC200 handheld controller has a RS485-connection. Newport sells an RS485-232 converter, and then an USB-RS232 converter. I strongly recommend to use those two, then you can blame Newport if it is not working.

Currently your first problem is your UBS-to-RS232 converter (and only that, BTW: any further insights on that one? brand, modell, etc.). From what you write Windows (which version?) can't find a driver for that converter, and of course without a working converter, your have no RS232 port and the Newport software will not work.

Kudos are welcome...
Message 6 of 9
(3,351 Views)

I'm using a PZC 200 handheld controller to manipulate  a PZA 12 piezo actuator. My current setup is the Newport RS485-232 converter that you mentioned connected to a USB-RS232 converter manufactured by a company called Sabrent, which is then hooked up to a Windows 7 laptop. I'm not sure about the quality of the Sabrent converter, but if that isn't the problem, is there another possible issue?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,323 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 10215626

As long as your Windows device manager tells you "Unknown serial device" (probably with an yellow exclamation mark?!) when you plug in your USB->RS232 converter, you will not be able to communicate with your PZC actuator.

Try to resolve that issue first.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
Message 8 of 9
(3,311 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 10215626

I needed to install the driver for the Sabrent 232 to usb converter. Now it works! 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,290 Views)