LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pick Instrument from IDN? result (case from string)

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to figure out how to read from several differently formatted instruments' IDN? result (GPIB) in Labview and pick a case to control that specific instrument. I've tried several different string search/scans and nothing seems to work quite right. The method used in the attached vi is taken from the NI official intialize driver for a E5071 network analyzer. but since it only works for Agilent ENA series VNA's it doesnt account for another IDN? format. The other two analyzers we have are 8714ES and 8753.

Thanks,

Jamie

(this file is ver. 2014 let me know if I have to convert for older)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,807 Views)
Fortunately, those identification strings are intended to be human readable -- but not computer parseable.

So why is it that you don't know ahead of time what Imstruments are installed?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,790 Views)

I do, I'm creating a program for the production floor however and the fewer variables the less likely the cannibals out there can mess something up. Basically when I'm done all the inputs will just be 1 scan from a barcode and then it will do all the testing and print out a report/save the data to a sever.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,783 Views)

Can you post a 2013 version?

Thanks

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,769 Views)
I hear what you are saying, and your end goal is very good so don't let anyone dissuade you. However, concerning the "cannibals' that sounds more like an HR problem.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,762 Views)

Well, maybe I was a bit too harsh on them... Maybe just monkey's. Does anybody have a solution?

Attached for version 8.5 (just in case) and 2013 as requested.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,742 Views)
Solution
Accepted by kornyguy06

Does this work?

Cheers,

mcduff

Message 7 of 9
(2,732 Views)

@kornyguy06 wrote:

Well, maybe I was a bit too harsh on them... Maybe just monkey's. Does anybody have a solution?

Yeah, the solution is real simple:

"You take parts out of a production system without prior approval and you're fired. Period."

"You make modifications to a production system without prior approval and you're fired. Period."

Real simple problem to solve.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,706 Views)

I think that'll work! Thank you mcduff! I looked over all the threads I could find on here about this and couldnt figure this out, didn't think to read it as a comma deliminated array.

mike- the application will be built so I'm not worried about the code, they already have that fear of being fired about touching the instruments and computers. I was more worried about them not changing a control for the particular analyzer they are using and having to get a manager or me over to them complaining they can't do any work because the program won't run.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,680 Views)