LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of state machine with enum vs string?

@Darin.K wrote:

You can still squeeze that last bit of performance out of your state machine!  Smiley Very Happy

PyramidPower.png

Spoiler
The case structure actually does slow down with more than two choices.  The FN used to be faster, now LV optimizes the silly single iteration loop.

That is SICK!

really, the comparechose default improves performance over !  I belive it because you posted it.  how much of an improvement? (or esentially switch- case compare, compare, compare, compare...vs switch default)

What processors is this still true for? (probably none- this is an optomization issue)

another compiler optomization pending?- the constant should be able to be predetermined and the switch cases that are determiable at compile should dead code out the unreachable per unfolded loop ( iteration ) invarient code.   Still (Bows to Darin) - SICK!

(Edited)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 46
(1,778 Views)
Ha. The power of the pyramid is only marginal. It is consistently faster on my machine, which is clocking about 40% faster than Steve's. No snippet because I don't really want to encourage this. But, if you know the input is heavy in a particular value or two you can often squeeze a few flops by nesting those first in two-choice cases. Here it is an even distribution so the advantage is very slight.

Mostly I was testing some old scripting code I have to nest cases. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 46
(1,777 Views)

I remember reading a suggestion regarding event structures to place the most common events 1st if optimizing for performance. I assume it's doing a linear search through the events. Might the same be true with multiple cases?

I did some enum vs string comparison some time back, and as you noted it's faster. I was surprised that it was as close as it was though, i thought it would be magnitutes slower.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 46
(1,758 Views)

@Steve Chandler wrote:

However I found another disadvantage in using the enums. If you have an array of enums constant it defaults to some particular width. You can resize the array elements so that you can see everything but as soon as you edit the typedef the width goes back to the default. Even if the typedef is strict and even if the array of the typedef is also a typedef.

Steve, I see that you already voted for my Add Block Diagram design for typedefs idea but if anyone else reading this hasn't and has had the same problem, please vote for it.

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 46
(1,745 Views)

So the benchmarks confirm our suspicions. Good.

Now extending the theory longer strings will take even more time. This is not the case with enums since they are only numbers and can be used to index to the selected instruction (machine instruction).

The other corallary would be that "Case Insesetive Match" should also take longer.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 46
(1,732 Views)

SteveChandler wrote:

However I found another disadvantage in using the enums. If you have an array of enums constant it defaults to some particular width. You can resize the array elements so that you can see everything but as soon as you edit the typedef the width goes back to the default. Even if the typedef is strict and even if the array of the typedef is also a typedef.

I discovered this bug in the middle of my CLD exam.

<Tribal Knowledge>

When you Apply Changes to your type defined enum (or type defined cluster containing an enum), LabVIEW auto-sizes all array constants based on the length of the first enum item.  So when using enums with message handlers, I always include an initial dummy element that is longer than any other item I might add.  (e.g. "-------------------Core-------------------").

</Tribal Knowledge>

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 46
(1,585 Views)

I Love my typedef enum over string anyday.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 46
(1,575 Views)

Although this is an old question, I ran into this same question recently and I ran a benchmark and thought I would post the results here for some future souls that are interested.  I'm pasting screenshots of the VI block diagrams rather than the source code, since images can be viewed immediately in the browser.  Running LabVIEW 2012.  Compared a typedef enum case selector in a high-count-loop vs. a string case selector in the same high-count loop.

The typedef enum is definitely significantly faster as expected since the comparisons under the hood are comparing an int (enum) as opposed to a multi-byte string (which requires a byte-by-byte comparison on all string cases).  The results are summarized here:

• Typedef Enum = 0.84 sec average time to perform 10M case selections
  • String =  10.4 sec average time to perform 10M case selections

...so the typedef enum selector is approximately 12 times faster than the string selector under the test circumstances described below.

The screenshots of the block diagram and front panel are shown below.  Each 10M-count loop does a case selection on one of 26 values (typedef enum or string).  The strings chosen were all unique to avoid compiler optimization and had an average length of ~19 characters (which is an arbitrary but reasonably-sized string which would likely be encountered in a typical medium-sized application).  All array initialization is performed prior to the timing, and the tests are placed in a mutually-exclusive Enable/Disable structure to keep the timing clean. 

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Message 28 of 46
(1,377 Views)

@rbrown

Since you did not post the VI, could you run it with

1. case insensitve match
  2. Is there a separate defualt case for the string, or is one of the cases default.

Cheers,

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 46
(1,371 Views)

I think you need to randomly select the strings from the array constant.  I use it as a LUT for the string to drive the case selector.  You garuntee 1 of each string but could choose the same enum value multiple times.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 46
(1,357 Views)